HybridZ

BMW Seats bracket fab (pics)

cygnusx1

Thanks!!!! I was one of those who asked. That answers the question I've been asking the Datsun World for several months.

Did you undo the upholstery to get at the seat frame so you could attach your Z rail adaptors? My BMW seats are slightly different and I'm trying to figure out my mounting plates with the least deconstruction of the seats.

Dennis

Ok I have to "come clean" here.

I admit it that I've always scared the crap out of my passangers by telling them that the passenger seat was bolted in with aluminum brackets and the drivers seat was welded in place when they asked about my seat swap....

The seats are F-IN Sweet!!

Nice looking brackets but if it were me I would remake them in steel and weld them up, that's just me though. I make a lot of things out of high grade aluminum but I (maybe it's just me) draw the line when it comes to seat brackets, seat belt brackets and rollbar parts.

Good luck

pallnet

No upholstery work needed with these seats.

Did you bolt your adapter plates to existing nut plates/mounting points from the original BMW seat rails on the seat frame or drill new holes?

My BMW seats have extensions coming down from the sides of the seat frame that are used to attach the stock BMW seat rails. Trying to use them will result in the seat sitting too high. While my seats look like your seats, they may be a later production.

Dennis

That aluminum is way stronger than the tabs on the original Z rails. Not to mention the bolt head would probably pull through the Z rails before the aluminum failed. If I had to guess, I would say that the allen cap screws would bend and may shear before anything else. If I hit something that hard....not too worried about the seat at that point. I have to put my faith in the seat belts...or a harness and roll bar in the near future.

The uppermost aluminum plate, is bolted directly into the stock BMW tap holes.