HybridZ

star washers under flywheel bolts? yea or nay

I had my flywheel resurfaced, and wanted to run this question past you guys. I bought new ARP flywheel bolts, and I was trying to decided whether or not to install star washers under the bolt heads. The research I've read says red loctite will suffice. The ARP bolts did not come with star washers in the package, but some other flywheel bolt packages have star washers included (based on the auction pictures on Ebay). I'd like your all's take on whether or not star washers are needed. Thanks. -Rod

Read the instructions with the ARP flywheel bolts. The ones for my SBC flexplate specifically stated to NOT use them and in cases where the bolts fail and the washers were used ARP will not be held responsible. It also specified to use a moly assembly lube with no loc-tite.

Hope this helps!

• Administrators
I had my flywheel resurfaced, and wanted to run this question past you guys. I bought new ARP flywheel bolts, and I was trying to decided whether or not to install star washers under the bolt heads. The research I've read says red loctite will suffice. The ARP bolts did not come with star washers in the package, but some other flywheel bolt packages have star washers included (based on the auction pictures on Ebay). I'd like your all's take on whether or not star washers are needed. Thanks. -Rod

Rod,

Nay on the washers! The torque spec ARP gives you for the bolt puts the bolt in its "spring" state, i.e. it wont come loose! Just like rod bolts, main bolts, etc, no lock washer are used.

Follow the ARP instructions verbatim including any mention of thread lockers, lubes, etc. :wink: