HybridZ

Carter GP4070 mounting & install...need some photos / help

capt_furious

I've searched and not found much detailed information. I know a few people here are running this pump and I'd appreciate some input.

I'd like to install one of these as a primary pump for my '74 260 with SUs and an L28.

I'm hoping to solve my fuel delivery issues - the current stock replacement electrical pump was never meant as a primary, just a pusher to the stock mechanical at the block. I've considered the option of going back to a mechanical in combination with the current electric pusher. However, I'm a little wary of doing so as I've had the mechanical pumps fail in the past and spray the engine bay with fuel.

My plan is to run new wiring with a relay on an ignition switched signal and a hidden kill switch. Summit offers the pump and a Painless wiring harness for what I consider to be a reasonable price. I'm assuming I'll need to install an adjustable regulator to keep the pressure around 5 psi.

My dilemma is how to mount this pump. There is a bracket next to the tank for the stock pump, but the confines back there are pretty tight and I'm not sure I could mount it without needing fabrication beyond my current resources.

I've got very limited time - my weekends start Friday night and end Sunday night - I have to have the car running / driving by early Monday morning in time to drive 60 miles to work from home. Such are the circumstances of my current job. I have no garage, and just basic tools.

I'd like some advice on how exactly to set the pump up and avoid cavitation, starvation from improper positioning, fuel line lengths, diameters, so forth. I have to admit my experience with fuel systems is limited. This site has offered some insight into the setup, but doesn't offer much in the way of photos or instructions.

I'm open to alternatives.