HybridZ

My exhaust choices

Delasangre4231

For my 1983 280zx NA

I was told by a lot of my friends that Magnaflow is a great product. I have been shopping around for mufflers for a while, I looked mostly at HKS and Magnaflow.

Anyways, first this is my situation. I ran over a brick a while back so I need to get my downpipe rebuilt. After I do that then I plan on either fabricating a test pipe or installing a hi-flow cat and using a Magnaflow muffler. I'm going to leave all the pipe in place and just replace the muffler which is falling apart.

First question - When I remove the cat should I use something like this or just weld in a section of pipe?

Second - I am pretty sure the stock exhaust is 2.25 right? If so should I replace the muffler and do the cat removal on it or should I pay way the heck more and get my local shop to do a full custom 2.5? I would prefer to spend less money, also if I do it at a shop then legally they have to put in a cat. Not what I want. Anyways thanks for any input.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, sorry to hear about the down pipe... Have you considered trying to find one, from someone is parting out a Z. I have seen several people on craigslist parting out 280Zs :( :( :(.. It might just turn out to be cheaper.

As for the other part... GOOD LUCK.. I have my Z parked with a mufler that looks like swiss cheese and can't seem to find a replacement. I too am very intrested in Magna Flow, but it seems that they don't make one for our car, U 2 have an 83 ZX... yes. This leads me to believe that I have one of three options, none of which seem to cool.

1- Go with another vendor, what I have seen... well :( :(

2- Go with a generic Magnaflow and some "custom" piping.

3- replace the whole exhaust with a custom Job

1- Cheeper but not to sure of what you really get.

2-3 Will take >>> $$$

I really would be Very intrested to see the en result... please... If I do find something, I will pass it on

I'd think twice before I put the MSA exhaust on again. In my case it was not exactly a "bolt on" and by the time I had paid my local muffler guy to make it fit, for the same money I could have had him build a full custom. This was on a 73 240Z with their 2.5" kit paired with their 6:1 header. I can't speak for the 280zx.

Also the Dynomax muffler doesn't have a bad sound, but it's nothing special either. Most people seem to prefer a deeper sound like the Magnaflow.

• 3 months later...

The MSA aluminumized 2 1/2" madrel bent system comes with a DynaMax muffler. I don't have mine installed yet but my old '81 280ZX had a custom bent 2 1/2" exhaust with a DynaMax turbo muffler and it sounded great - looking forward to getting this one installed.