HybridZ

89 300zxt ss vlsd

lgoodson@pacbell.net

Has anyone used one of these. They are V not C lsd. I have a guy that will sell me one with half shafts but I don't know if I should do it. My car will be about 400 hp before I am done with it and it will be capable of being used as a daily driver and maybe a trip or two to the track. Will also take it up to the mountains for some corners. Is this a good buy and should I do it? What do you all know?

Thanks

Larry

Has anyone used one of these. They are V not C lsd. I have a guy that will sell me one for $450 with half shafts but I don't know if I should do it. My car will be about 400 hp before I am done with it and it will be capable of being used as a daily driver and maybe a trip or two to the track. Will also take it up to the mountains for some corners. Is this a good buy and should I do it? What do you all know?

Thanks

Larry

I would say that 450 for the VLSD with half shafts is a pretty good deal. It will handle 400whp pretty alright. Obviously the VLSD is what comes in the z32's and they seem to hold up pretty alright.

However, just a correction. The VLSD from the 300zxt was ONLY found in the 1988 turbo SHIRO edition. The regular 88 turbo's had CLSD as did the 89 turbo's. Also, there were LESS than 300 z31 turbo's made in 1989. So, not that it matter's, but it is out of the 88 shiro.

damn, i would jump on this with a heart beat if i have the cash. you must be looking because you speak faster than me, i just seen it on craigs! you better get it before someone jumps on it. its a steal at that price. diff itself sits around the $600.00 range minus axles.. if you dont like it, trade it for my q45 hort nose r200 vlsd. ehehe.this is the real deal!!!!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/1405860603.html

Edited by piston
edit

J Soileau Why do you think the VLSD is not as good as a CLSD for track

The CLSD can take WAY more abuse AND you can rebuild it. Not only rebuild it, but rebuild it and make it stronger by adding more clutches. If you abuse the VLSD to much, you can cook the fluid inside of the viscous coupling. This would essentially turn it back into an open diff again. Then it would be useless for any kind of track use.

i see alot of guys on here running this lsd in rb swap, v8, etc. i dont see why it cant hold an lt1 t56. i punch my old lt1 all day with stock open diff r200 and never had a problem. not even a broken u joint. was in the 340torque range. i say just get it and call it.

satan knows his diff stuff from reading other diff theads. ! thumbs up!

Does any know what the viscosity of the oil should be for getting the tightest setup.What is the viscosity of the stock oil. I suppose Nissan can tell me that but they probably can't recomend a change.

Are you talking about the viscous diff still? You cannot change the oil in the viscous coupling. It is a sealed unit and has to be replaced once it goes bad. The only way to stiffen it up, is to shim it. But then you are not really stiffening it up, but more just wedging it in place to keep it from moving.

This is one side of the viscous coupling...

IMG_1602.jpg

And this is the other.

IMG_1601.jpg

If you look at the second picture, you can see where the teeth of the gear ride vs. the inside of the coupling where the splines are. These two parts spin differently from each other. When they start to spin the fluid inside heats up and expands locking them together to give you your LSD effect. As you can see, there is no way to get in there and drain the old fluid out and put new in.

As far as the viscous coupling burning out... I don't know of anyone that has actually burned one out. But I usually talk with z31 guys who mostly run the CLSD not the VLSD so...

satan knows his diff stuff from reading other diff theads. ! thumbs up!

It's pathetic really. I troll the drivline forum in hopes that people will ask questions about the R200 or R230, just so I can hopefully answer them. :icon45:

Does anyone know what the spline count of the VLSD in the 1988 300zxt. I want to identify it to determine if it is a Vlsd or a Clsd

Spline count wont tell you if it is a V or CLSD when it comes to the 87-89 300zx lds's, they are both 29 spline. The way you can tell is to look through the input shaft holes. Look at the picture I posted of that viscous coupling. You see that washer that is inside it? Essentially a barrier to keep the axle from going to far (although I don't think that would happen anyways). If you look at a CLSD, you can look straight through to the other side. There is no washer like that.

Another way you can tell is to look at the actual input shafts them selves. One will be a lot longer than the other due to the fact that it has to plug so far into the diff in order to reach the viscous coupling.