HybridZ

Unknown 5sp gearbox

giorgio61

My son bought us a 5sp for our project 240, today after due cleaning I pulled the speedo cog to make sure it matches my diff, well it had a 4.11 ratio cog (red).

I have no idea what car it this box came from or what the gear ratios are perhaps a late 200sx? but then the case looks early 5sp (wide ratio). Suggestions anyone on how to ID it?

Also I noticed it has 3 different switches on one side, I pretty sure one is for the backup lights, one probably a neutral safety and the other?

I'll get a pic tomorrow maybe that will help.

Thanks

Measure carefully, and take a look at the shifter. The 200SX transmissions are FS5W71C transmissions, starting in 1984. The shifter is much different, and starting in 1986.5, the syncros got upgraded. Dimensionally, the trans will fit, but measure the overall length carefully. for the FS5W71C trans, you'll need to move the transmission mount back 2", but you MAY or MAY NOT have to have a shorter driveshaft. SOME (1987 NON-Turbo with CA20e motors) are usable with a stock length driveshaft.

• 1 year later...