HybridZ

Buick 350

ZROSSA

I was just looking @ some engine weights that grumpy posted and the buick 350 is very light. Are these any good as a performance engine? It would be nice to have a 125 lb weight brake over the chevy.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

KeeneBell has been into Buicks 6's and 8's longer than anyone can remember but do not have much of a website. They once had a successful method to turn the Buick 2 speed into a 4 speed automatic.The Buick "nail heads" v8 were phased out in about 1966 and were narrow making them excellant swap material for early Fords. I had a 300 cubic inch high compression, 4 barrel, short stroke 1966 nail head that screamed between 50 and 90 mph. If I still had it, there would be no question of putting it into a Z. The motor was a forerunner to the Duntov Camaro 302.

Guest Anonymous

The Buick V6 is a 3/4 Buick small V8. The 350 has a long 3.85" stroke for good torque, but the small 3.80" bore limits valve size. Any tricks for the V6 work on the 350V8 and Kenne-Bell has a host of parts including intakes and cams for this engine. Personally, if I was considering hopping up a Buick motor, I wouldn't look to anyone else.

I dont know why more people dont have a look at this donk. All steel and 450lbs. There appears to be some ali heads on the way for them based on the indy light v6 design. What do the ali heads drop on the chevs? 50 - 75lbs. Those of you looking to do a swap from the start should take a good look, particularly of you are concerned about weight. I bet one of these would stomp all over the 302 ford (the other light weight contender.

Discuss!

Cheers

Douglas

Buick built some real powerhouses, for instance, the 455 GSX Stage 1. There are some companies that build Buick V-8 turn-key engines, and even a few parts suppliers like Summit Racing offer aftermarket performance products for these engines. Overall, one must respect the performance utility of these engines, and the fact that they are so light, might make the option of a Buick V-8 swap into a Datsun attractive. Also, a lighter vehicle equates into horsepower gained! :->

Guest Anonymous

I do respect buick's ability to make power. They're 455 is the best of the corporate 455's in terms of light weight and power. But the 350 is another story IMHO and I'm not sure theres enough speed parts on the planet for it to make it cheap enough to smoke a 302 ford with a galaxy of speed parts, thats what I was talking about. Remember 100 lbs = .1 et, is the cost per lb' worth less than .1 et? Just economics from my perspective, but hey whatever does it for ya is great, if thats a buick or a hudson motor fine, it'll be different thats for sure. I respect different and admire it for what it is.

Regards,

Lone

One day when I have some money and other projects are compleated (this could be never), I want to build a v8 into a early 911 porsche. Dont ask me why. I just love them. So weight is a big issuie particularly when it hanging over the arse end. I am on the mail list for the Porchev guys and they say the chevy with ali heads weighs the same as the stock 911 turbo engine. The Buick would help no end. Like the z, you dont need heaps of hp to have fun 300 hp at the wheels would be mighty scary in one of these. I am sure you could get that out of the buick fairly easy. Ali heads would be even better. Any way its interesting. I am a engine/ car junkie love reading and learning new things so if any one has any more inf on these pass it on. cheers.gif

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

350 in 911 has been done although it was chevy

It put around 400hp at the flywheel and did mid 12's if i remeber right(probably traction limited)

The only thing I can't remeber the name of the company........ sorry I rember now renegade hybrids I think

The 930 nose and cool yellow paint was way cool on that car. probably way cheaper than turboing the flat 6

Saw it in a kit car magazine

Guest Anonymous

Gotcha, in that application by all means, light is good, I saw a B-O-P (rover) 215 in the ass of a VW in Tucson years ago, that was a bit heavy or so it seems he wheeled 2nd gear about 25 feet. That could be cool... :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Tom Scala

Buick made a hi compression 350 in 1970 for the GS that ran real well. Poston,T/A Performance,Torque Tech,and of course Kenne Belle all have performance recipies for these motors that will pretty much accomplish whatever you want,from mild to wild. A local racer (Sonny Seal) regualrly runs mid 11's in a Buick 350 equiped GS. Don't overlook the Pontiac 350 either. Bruce Fulper at Rock-N-Roll engineering just extracted over 500HP from one and over 600HP with just a plate N2O system. The Chebby 350 isn't the only game in town.

Guest Anonymous

Keene Bell Telephone: 909-941-6646 eMail keenebell@keenebell check this old 1964 Buick engine on e bay item # 1838370010 with aluminum heads,intake,4bbl, 11 to 1 compression ratio etc. What about those 215 cubic inch motors. Austrailia should have alots of them in the Rovers >Ebay has a hi performer in this size too.

Guest Aaron

When I was in high school, I started a project that was way to ambitious for me and never finished. I was planning a Buick 350/350 auto combo in a 71 datsun pickup. That was during the mini-trucking fad in the late 80's/early 90's (not much different than the ricers now). I had the truck striped to the frame, it had no rust except for a small hole in the driver's door, the buick motor disassembled for rebuild, and I was in the process of rebuilding the brakes/suspension. At that point, I had

$1 plus some labor in the truck. My parents divorced, sold our house, and I was forced to sell my project. It sold for $60 completely disasembled. I wish I had that one back. that 2000 lb truck would have been mucho fun.