HybridZ

Local muffler shop

mikesz

I took my z to a small,local shop to have a custom turbo down pipe made.I have heard about this guy and how his prices were very good.Anyway, After looking at the z he tells me there's no way he could do it.

I told him that a lot of people have done this to these cars and he said it can't be done.He then went on to say that what i want made isn't a down pipe.I then went on to say "Yes it is a turbo down pipe"He was a complete idiot and walked away from me.Anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Name and shame so no one else has to deal with his crap and if you ever see him again let him know that you posted his details and a warning to stay away from him on every web forum that you could find. Guys like this shouldn't be in business. If it is a job that is too difficult for him he should have just told you so instead of being a complete dick. ;)

one more in an almost endless list of reasons why you need a decent welder and the skill to use it!

look IM no expert, but I do weld frequently, and theres guys on this site that are far better welders than I am, but about 85%-95% of the time I manage to get things welded correctly on the first attempt, and on stuff IM very familiar with that climbs to close to 100% , which ain,t all that bad for an old geezer.......and yes IM a tool junky, and have several welders, MIG,TIG,ARC,OXY-ACETYLENE

Edited by grumpyvette

don,t forget the shield gas tank and the self darkening helmet, mig welding IS NOT FLUX CORE WELDING

MIG done correctly is generally neater, and stronger and looks better

ID strongly suggest sticking to a name brand, in the 180-210 amp range for the most versatile welder, welders are EXPENSIVE and you don,t want to find out you need to upgrade, or can,t get replacement parts in a few months, get a decent welder and it will last DECADES, and easily pay for it self over and over again, get a piece of cheap crap and you'll get frustrated, and make yourself crazy thinking you can,t learn to weld when its not YOU but the equipment that's easily most of the problem, yes the up front cost looks high, it is on decent equipment but a decent welder could last you 20-30 years under home use, and do hundreds of projects, its a TRUE BARGAIN, costing pennies on the dollar compared to farming out weld related work, plus your FAR more likely to get things done YOUR WAY rather than done 1/2 assed

MILLER,LINCOLN ,HTP,HOBART

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/comparison.html

example

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/mig_200.html

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=907312

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=907422

youll be amazed at the projects you can do, that you might not of even thought about before once you gain some experience, and it won,t take long to make the cost of the welder back if you do side work on custom exhausts

Edited by grumpyvette

if you get a chance at getting some experienced welder to give you some tips and hands on training JUMP ON THE CHANCE!

Ive always felt that the brand name welder manufacturers should have made short ,very low cost classes on how to use their equipment available, at most dealers when you buy their equipment, because nothing sells welders as fast as having a buddy show you how well his new welder works.

and the one thing that keeps guys from BUYING a decent welder is not the cost because we all know that if you want something badly enough and its cost is less than a months pay, you'll eventually find a way to afford it!,with most guys Ive talked with, its the idea that you'll spend the money and not be able to use the equipment, or use it often enough to justify its cost, but once they get some quality instruction it opens up a whole new world, and projects you've never dreamed of doing before start to look possible.

before you own a welder, you buy things like car trailers, welding tables,accessory brackets,oil pans,traction bars,exhaust systems, fence gates, etc. but once you own one you buy steel, aluminum,axles and detailed construction plans, and BUILD stuff better than you could buy,and to YOUR specifications

almost every guy I know that owns a welder bought that welder only after a buddy showed him how easy his welder was to use and how making things was not MAGIC but something almost anyone can do!

besides, theres a great deal of satisfaction in building your own custom oil pans,exhaust systems, accessory brackets or suspension components

Edited by grumpyvette

Actually i just found a guy in my area that gives welding lessons.He's been a welder for 25 years.I saw a used mig on Craigs list for $400 but the guy already sold it.I think i will hold off until i can find a good used mig welder.Thanks for the great advice.