HybridZ

Halfshaft a failsafe?

7MGFORCE

I just purchase a 350 v8 in a 73 240z. Carb.

The last owner welded the r180

I'm curious if a half shat where to break I would still be able to steer the car normally right? The reason I'm asking is because I would rather beef up the stub axle with 280z and leave the half shaft as a weak link than break a stub axle.

My other question is with modern motorsports stub axle what is the strongest halfshaft I can use with stock r180? I read the long sticky but the cv only works for the r200.

Not to mention when they do snap (and if they dont cause major damage like John stated), it will beat the **** out of the bottom of your car.

When i broke one of mine it got caught between the LCA like john mentioned. Luckly I had already slowed down the car. It was scary thou. Car kinda "lifted" a bit when it caught.

My advice: MM has an affordable cv conversion. Doing it now ( and right) will save you money in the long run. However I will say this (from experience from my car), you can get the best of two worlds by swapping in an lsd. Because the power isnt going to shoot to one wheel its harder to break half shafts with an lsd (not saying its not possible, just makes it harder since power is going to two wheel instead of one). Not to mention the benefits of LSD are numerous.

Yes but I can't afford the mount for a short nose right now. And welded diff acts like lsd. With the exception that it's always locked.

What do you guys sudgest? My aim is only 300whp/wtrq

With the welded r180 the next weak link is halfshaft and stub axle.

The stock halfshaft should handle launches with street tires right?

Is there a way to upgrade to cv using r180?