HybridZ

260z no charge, no shut off

i used the search button don't worry BUT, i could not find what im looking for in my particular situation.

hey guys,

i have a 260z, l28et swap

edis-6

MS2 w/ relay board

81 280zx turbo alternator

tried following this diagram,

http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/voltreg.htm

and this diagram

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

to get rid of the external voltage regulator. mind you both articles are for the 280z.

i was following the haynes manual also, my eyes were hurting after staring at the microscopic diagrams in the book.

problem is, the car will not turn off with the key while running, ALSO the alternator will not charge my battery. although, from out side sources, IE) jumping from another car, it does hold a very good charge, so it is not my battery. ive tried many ways to wire up the 6 wires for the old external voltage regulators (in those articles), placing diodes between the yellow and w/r wires, cathode toward yellow, but the other 4 i dont know what to do with those. (the articles are different for my application)

now, the 260z is tricky with this, especialy being that i have gotten rid of the coil and ballast resistor, this most definatley plays a key part.

in addition, having a loose key igniton on top of all of that.

does any one have any suggestions on how i can fix the no charge problem, and the failure to turn off while running problem? for my 260Z?

thanks for looking guys

looking for some :icon15::icon15::icon15::icon15:'s

Guest Rolling Parts

You did not add the needed diode between the "L" terminal and the harness.

Otherwise, there is a current leak that keeps the ignition hot.

Yes, it's only on the 260Z.

thanks for the post man the more the better!

BUT, diode is installed from the yellow to the white and red wire. the L terminal. cathode is towards yellow.

"ive tried many ways to wire up the 6 wires for the old external voltage regulators (in those articles), placing diodes between the yellow and w/r wires, cathode toward yellow, but the other 4 i dont know what to do with those. (the articles are different for my application)"

mind you i did follow the chart http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/voltreg.htm

but that didnt work either. then installed the diode inbetween the L and the S.. yellow and W/R

no charge and still no shut off! weird.

Guest Rolling Parts

I was hoping that SOMEONE would get that to work. I tried it on 2 different 260Z's and never could. I ended up with a diode on a wire from the starter. I just thought that I must have made a mistake. I wonder since you're seeing the same thing that someone needs to ask for corrections at AtlanticZ and at ZcarCreations?

You only need 12V on the "L" terminal to help the alt get things going so any temporary 12V source will work. Just a brief 12V from even a switch is enough to trigger the alternator to start putting out...

today, non stop datsun work! (got out early wee)

so, all in all i installed a switch on the edis power. the switch is in the cabin. i just cut the car off by killing the spark.

and i installed the old internal voltage regulator. now it the alternator charges fine.

soon im just going to install a low gauge wire from the alternator to the battery, and bypass all the stock bull chit! and hook up the L terminal and the old N terminal to the IG switch. so yep.

also, being that im not using any stock fuel or spark or air, some of the wires need to be trimed out STAT.