HybridZ

Air flow in Heat and Air System

jusjofok

In my 82 280zx I am having some problems with the heat and air controls. When I accelerate quickly (vacuum drops) the air stops coming from the vents and gets diverted to the floor. I back off the throttle (increase system vacuum) and the air comes back to the vents. What is the main cause of this? It started when I had the drivers side knee panel off that has the vacuum switch on it for god only knows what, I tried swapping the lines around on it but it didn't do any good. Any recommendations? I suppose there is a check valve in the system somewhere (near the vacuum canister??) but I haven't looked yet.

Also, I believe this to be a separate issue but the system will never go to defrost (air just barely comes out of the ducts with fan on high). Should I just replace the vacuum switch (the ac/heat/defrost/mix/floor one) or am I not thinking correctly?

Thanks guys, assistance would be appreciated. I can deal with the air going to the floor when I stand on it but I kinda need the defrost cause it is getting cold.

Thanks