HybridZ

Another "What rims are these?"

Hey guys,

My brother and I picked up these rims a couple weeks ago with the intent of cleaning them up and putting them on our 240 sometime. I've been looking all over trying to figure out who made them though, and so far haven't had any luck.

They're 15x10.5 in the rear and 15x9 in the front I believe.

So far I know they're Japanese, most likely knockoffs of the watanabes since they aren't stamped with either the three birds or ssr anywhere. The only markings are an H with a circle around it on the back, and the Japanese ministry of transport stamp on the front of the rims.

Any help is appreciated!

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1567

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1568

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1569

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1571

This last pic is what I believe is the Japanese version of a DOT stamp

Cheers,

Chris and Rob

Yeah the spokes look close to a Panasport, but the lip design looks closer to a Watanabe.. I just wasn't sure if it was a common brand or if there were a lot of companies that produced these copies.

The width is definitely a bonus! Should be able to handle the Rb 25 a bit better than the chevoits we have on there now

Hey guys,

My brother and I picked up these rims a couple weeks ago with the intent of cleaning them up and putting them on our 240 sometime. I've been looking all over trying to figure out who made them though, and so far haven't had any luck.

They're 15x10.5 in the rear and 15x9 in the front I believe.

So far I know they're Japanese, most likely knockoffs of the watanabes since they aren't stamped with either the three birds or ssr anywhere. The only markings are an H with a circle around it on the back, and the Japanese ministry of transport stamp on the front of the rims.

Any help is appreciated!

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1567

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1568

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1569

picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1571

This last pic is what I believe is the Japanese version of a DOT stamp

Cheers,

Chris and Rob

Looks like a ROTA RB wheel. They are currently made in the Phillipines and the company looks very credible.

George

I've seen Rotas before and I believe these are something different. Unless its an earlier version of the RB that was made in Japan? I really have no clue.

I found some interesting JDM rim indexing websites that seemed to show a LOT of different rims in the same 8-spoke style akin to the RS Watanabes and the Panasports.. The problem is these rims have nothing that really distinguishes them from the rest, so I can only say what they most likely aren't.

I'll post that website if I can find it, it had a lot of good information

• 5 weeks later...
They could be Black Racing wheels. My friend has a set for his AE86 and they look very close to my Wats. The Black Racing logo is painted (or a decal) on the lip so if someone polished yours, it may have been polished off

Thats a good idea, there were stickers on the insides but they are essentially rubbed off, you can't read them anymore. If you have any pictures of that corolla with the rims I'd be interested in taking a look at them!

We recently picked up a set of zg flares for the RB 240, so we gave the rims a test fit and they look pretty mean! They definitely require flares though. Since my brother and I cant justify buying a set of watanabes, we picked these up and Im almost just as happy with the look. I think we'll keep em. heheh

I was thinking Black Racing as well, I had a set on my Skyline when I lived in Japan. I had 2 one piece like the wheels in the picture and 4 like the wheels on the RatDat site. If I remember correctly Black had some kind of permanent mark on them to signify that they were Black Racing Wheels.

Ive got some more pics if they will help.

The rims are a one piece design there is no way to separate the barrel... I still haven't found a "mark" other than the JDM transportation stamp.

I like the rim though, they need a clean up with the rest of my car for the winter ! The great thing about Canada is as long as your garage is heated you don't feel guilty for not driving your car for a couple months while you work on it.

15533_702896608127_72604599_41666689_407867_n.jpg

15533_702896613117_72604599_41666690_719881_n.jpg

15533_702896623097_72604599_41666691_5403477_n.jpg

15533_702897795747_72604599_41666701_4557393_n.jpg

15533_702897810717_72604599_41666703_2691505_n.jpg

Ive got some more pics if they will help.

The rims are a one piece design there is no way to separate the barrel... I still haven't found a "mark" other than the JDM transportation stamp.

I was at my friend's shop tonight and took a couple impromptu pictures with my iphone. I guess my memory isn't as good as I thought. The wheels that look like Wats were not the wheels I remember having the Black Racing logo on the lip. Those weren't at the shop tonight but I have seen that.

You'll notice the two wheels he has here are actually different (I didn't know initially). He told me one is actually a Watanabe. I have no reason to not believe him but the wheel also does not have the Wat stamp like mine do. I believe the hub surface of the 3rd picture (more hollowed out) is the BR wheel

I wonder if you don't actually have real Wats? What are those 5 spoke wheels next to your car? Those are cool :cheers:

2_thumb.jpg

3_thumb.jpg

4_thumb.jpg

5_thumb.jpg

6_thumb.jpg

1_thumb.jpg

7_thumb.jpg

8_thumb.jpg

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast Mg = 15x9 11.5lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast 15x9 = 16.3lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast Mg = 15x9.5 11.7lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast 15x9.5 = 16.8lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast Mg 15x10 = 12.1lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast 15x10 = 17.2lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast Mg 15x10.5 = 12.3lbs

RS Watanabe EightSpoke R Type Cast 15x10.5 = 17.6lbs

Weigh them, You can find out if they are close and possibly Watanabe and also if they are Mg or not.