HybridZ

How to re-dye cloth seats?

Boobala

I just bought a set of 1995 Mazda Miata seats for my 240Z.

Does anybody know of a good way to re-dye them?

The color is dark enough that I could probably get away with then as is, but I would like to dye them jet-black.

They are cloth.

i-1_B_L.JPG

I guess I could search for Miata seat Upholstery kits, but I'm cheap. malebitchslap.gif

Guest Anonymous

Go to the auto parts store and find some black upholstry dye in a rattle can. I am not sure that you can get a real jet black color on your seats with the rattle can but the dye will darken-up what you already have which is not a bad combination. I used this type of dye years ago and it did not darken as I expected and streaked and striped.I got a uniform color by many applications (and cans on a cloth headliner)Maybe it has improved. Try some on some other cloth upholstry first. Ask a lot of questions and read the label about the dye drying and .... later rubbing off on your clothes unless you dress in black.

Yeah, those are the two things I was worried about: Streaking (un-even color) & rub-off.

I'm betting the "cloth" is some sort of poly-synthetic-stuff, and would'nt take dye very well.

I was hoping one of you knew some secrete trick to dying modern upholstery.

Oh well, I can live with the color until I con afford this.

Black Leather Miata Seat re-upholstery kit = $449.00 (more than I paid for the seats!)

Black Vinyl Miata Seat re-upholstery kit = $300.00

I haven't found a Cloth kit yet.

Used to do this all the time to used cars. Go to the hardware store and buy a box of black Rit dye. While you are there also buy some upholstery soap, sponge, soft hand brush and rubber gloves.

Mix the soap and dye in a bucket of warm water and apply with the sponge. Work in with the soft hand brush and the let dry. It will take a quite a while to dry but you can help it along if you have a wet/dry vacuum. They will end up looking almost new and it will not come off.

Don't forget to wear the gloves or your hands will be very black for a long time. rolleyesg.gif

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:

[QB].., Used to do this all the time to used cars..,

SpeedRacer,

Just for clearification, you did see that he said he had "Cloth" seats and not Vinyl seats: Yes/no?

If you have done this to cloth and were not confused into thinking he meant vinyl-then I'ld say thanks for the tip; it sounds like a pretty good trick.

Are you sure the dye does not come off on the clothes?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest LIghtningZ

No rit shouldn't come up on clothes (make sure thiere DRY!! If anybody should decide to dye viynl there is a product called Molecubond (saw it in Hotrod) decided to give it a try and guess what it worked it was like it soaked right in eek2.gif and dried after a half hour!! .....HOLY CRAP i sound like an INFOMERCIAL puke.gif

Hey thanks for the info SpeedRacer,

I think I'll give it a try. Is there some sort of special upholstery soap I should look for (brand name)?

I figure worst come to worst, I'll have to re-upholster the seats. I kind'a want to do the leather thing anyway.

I've used Rit dye to do clothing before--it works. Again, you had better make sure it is completely dry, or you'll wind up with tinted clothing on your backside. If you want to dye/color vinyl or plastic, the very best product I have found at auto paint supply places is called SEM---get the "Landau Black" for Datsun panels. If you do it right, they will come out looking brand new and consistent sheen. I love the stuff.

Davy

Yup - I picked up on the fact that they are cloth. If they were vinyl a rattle can of vinyl dye should do the trick. Most auto parts stores carry them.

The soap helps to break down surface tension and overcomes small amounts of grease, dirt, etc. so the dye takes evenly. I'd suggest a liquid soap over powdered type but any good upholstery soap will work. Just don't scrub them so hard with the brush that you ruin the knap of the cloth.

BTW, this works great on faded carpet too. :D

Guest Anonymous

I'd just take 'em to an upholstery shop and have them recovered. Looks good, last long time,best of all, doesn't make a mess of your clothes.

Guest Anonymous

Thanx Racer X.. I am going to apply your dye lesson on a carpet in a rental that I cannot afford carpet for. First I will clean with a commercial cleaner then dye with soap with the same cleaning machine. Sound right ,,Looks like I will save some bucks on a professional clean and dye. Got any advice on self tattooing with the left over dye?? LOL Any stock brokerage advice?

Originally posted by Les Heath:

I'd just take 'em to an upholstery shop and have them recovered. Looks good, last long time,best of all, doesn't make a mess of your clothes.

You forgot one part...

Looks good, last long time,best of all, doesn't make a mess of your clothes, COST MORE MONEY.

I would rather do the re-upholstery job myself and save the bucks.

I also forgot to mention that I work in a Aircraft service / refurb center. I know dozens of people who are very good at upholstery. A few of which who do auto-upholstery on the side for considerably less mulah than the pro shops.

When I get back to work tomarrow I plan to pick a few brains about this re-dye subject.

Guest bang847
Originally posted by DavyZ:

I've used Rit dye to do clothing before--it works. Again, you had better make sure it is completely dry, or you'll wind up with tinted clothing on your backside. If you want to dye/color vinyl or plastic, the very best product I have found at auto paint supply places is called SEM---get the "Landau Black" for Datsun panels. If you do it right, they will come out looking brand new and consistent sheen. I love the stuff.

Davy

if you get itchy about driving just wear all black...

Guest Anonymous

I had the seats in my truck redone for 200$, thats a lot cheaoer than replacing shirts everytime you sweat. Again in the long run it's much cheaper.

Guest KraZ4spd

First, I would use an upholstery shampooer. Give them a good cleaning. You may be surprised at what you get. If you are not happy with the results it would also help with a more consistant 'Dye Job'. Either way it would be worth your time. 2thumbs.gif