HybridZ

Need Help Disassembling 1/4 Windows

Zzeal

I'd like to replace all the seals and powdercoat the moldings on my '73 quarter windows. It isn't obvious to me how these babies come apart. Actually, they don't look like they're interested in breaking down at all.

If you've been successful in this endeavor, please give me some tips. Thanks tons!

Steve

Ill take a shot at this...I remember this was a bit of work...anybody with tips please chime in as there are likely more experienced persons out there!

** Easiest to do this job with a helper**

Remove the window from the car (I assume you are already at this point) ** Also remember that there are three seals that should be changed while the quarter window is out ( the front quarter seal, the glass to moulding seal and the moulding to body seal)

Remove the philips screws that hold the metal tabs on the moulding together.

They are located on the side of the glass that faces the front of the car. This is where you will see the replaceable front quarter seal.

When the screws are out just pull the mouldings apart...takes a bit of persuasion. THen pull the window to moulding seal (the big one piece seal) out of the moulding and pull the glass out of the seal.

Then clean up the glass edges and the mouldings, including the inside channel of the moulding so the new seal goes in nicely. ( I see you are going to powdercoat...dont powdercoat the inner channel though or you will have trouble getting the new seal in.

Reinsall the glass into the new one piece seal. Put the mouldings back around the glass and seal and tigthen the screws...this will be a tight fit..i used soapy water to help it slide in. You might want to use a large vise to hold the moulding in place while you work it in. The new front quarter seal goes in with the small screws as well.

Now you put the frame to body seal around the moulding affixing it with super adhesive and let it set. I held it in place with masking tape while it dried and set.

When they are dry and set you can put the windows back in the car. Keep in mind the new seals will make it a tight fit going back into the body of the car...again I used soapy water to get them to slip in. Makes it much easier to have an assistant put the screws in while you are pushing and squeezing the windows back in to the proper place...Good luck!!

Drew RBZ, I very much appreciate your response, I had taken the two screws out and that didn't seem to get me anywhere. Now I'll persuade them as you advise. Thanks so much, I'm off and running.

Thanks too, to Sparks 280zt.

I got my quarter windows apart!, and I took some shots while doing it. It wasn't too bad a job, but I can see how it might take a helper to squeeze the new moldings in and get the screws started. I'll try to get some pics of that operation too.

'73 Quarter window after removing window to body seal and front seal.

P1000024.jpg

P1000023-1.jpg

Two screws at front of frame.

P1000026.jpg

Two more screws at rear.

P1000028.jpg

After removing all four screws you can start prying and coaxing the frame off of the fossilized seal surrounding the glass.

P1000029.jpg

P1000030.jpg

P1000031.jpg

P1000032.jpg

P1000034.jpg

These guys will be powdercoated.

P1000036.jpg