HybridZ

Please help with hood pin install

ratedZ

Just got a set of hood pins for my 83zxt so I can keep it slightly open while driving. I know that there are a few guys that have them on their Z's and would like to know how I could screw the nut from the bottom. There are two nuts...one goes on the outside and the other under the body panel...the metal sheeting is sandwitch in between these two bolts. I just can't figure out how I could hold the bottom bolt so I could screw the metal pegs onto it. Can I gain access from the side if I remove the fender? Any ideas? shifty.gif

I haven't done this, so I'm guessing at an approach...forget about removing a fender to install some hoodpins...try removing the flat rubber plug next to the factory hood leveler post (it looks about hood pin dia. size) and weld, or have welded) a nut with the same thread as the hood pin onto the surface. Thread your hood pin into this nut and use a jamnut to secure your adjusted ht. Use rubber spacers (like sway bar end bushings, e.g.) stacked on the pin to set the desired hood lift/gap. You could fabricate an alternate (longer) hood clasp loop to use with the lifted hood to provide a more stable hood at speed. DAW

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

what do the sparco ones look like? i need to get some for my zed but dont want anything to detract from the nice sleek/stockish look! hehe

• 2 years later...