HybridZ

Check out this racing airplane

josh817

The most recent C-130 is the J which is much upgraded over the H. It is all glass with HUD, they removed the engineer position, the engines are completely different and they have six bladed carbon fiber props which have replaceable blades. They are the biggest downside that I know of to the J model. The carbon won't take the abuse in the dessert like aluminum will (duh). It was also the other way around, the government was trying to replace the C-130 with the C-17. You are correct though, neither can really do the others job.

I worked at Epic air for a while building total carbon fiber turboprop kit planes. Pretty cool design, EXTREMELY overpowered, however poor workmanship on the line and bad management from the front office got them shut down. The planes are pretty cool looking if you ever get the chance to be close to one. My sig pic is an Epic LT, if you can make it out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most recent C-130 is the J which is much upgraded over the H. It is all glass with HUD, they removed the engineer position, the engines are completely different and they have six bladed carbon fiber props which have replaceable blades. They are the biggest downside that I know of to the J model. The carbon won't take the abuse in the dessert like aluminum will (duh). It was also the other way around, the government was trying to replace the C-130 with the C-17. You are correct though, neither can really do the others job.

I worked at Epic air for a while building total carbon fiber turboprop kit planes. Pretty cool design, EXTREMELY overpowered, however poor workmanship on the line and bad management from the front office got them shut down. The planes are pretty cool looking if you ever get the chance to be close to one. My sig pic is an Epic LT, if you can make it out.

Hey Thustnut-

Thanks for the correction, I said H model but your correct, its a J model. Thats the one I was refering to actually. I saw them out in the desert this past summer when I was deployed to Qatar for 4 months. Those props look wicked curved at an angle like that.

I was wondering what airplane that was in your signature, I didn't recognize it. Overpowered is always good I say. Did you build it yourself?

That one was built before I started there, but I was involved in three LT builds while I worked there. They are pretty crazy, they have the big Pratt PT-6 engines and can accelerate in an almost vertical climb. I worked the flight line/delivery section there and was one of four A&P's in the building. I pretty much played clean up after all the idiots that worked there. I also got Epic's twin engine plane through it's flight testing. That was pretty cool. Also have a little time (10 years) on 130's and T-38's... been around a little.

I always thought "Puff" and "Spooky" refered to AC-130's. I will check out the other planes, thanks for the info. Also gotta love "Bouncing Bettys" and "Daisy Cutters" check those out if you get a chance.

Don't know about "puff" but "spooky" was for the AC-130 I thought because they would setup the sound sensors around on the Hochi Minh trail and when they heard something they'd rape'em. Same thing for in caves and stuff I think too. I've been wrong in this thread like every time now so don't count me as a credible source! :icon56:

I know the gunships are called "Specter" because you can't hear them untill they are right on top of you and by then it's a little late to run.

They call A10's "Devil Cross" over in the middle east because of the high banking turn they do before they come in to straif. I guess they look like a cross in the sky.

That one was built before I started there, but I was involved in three LT builds while I worked there. They are pretty crazy, they have the big Pratt PT-6 engines and can accelerate in an almost vertical climb. I worked the flight line/delivery section there and was one of four A&P's in the building. I pretty much played clean up after all the idiots that worked there. I also got Epic's twin engine plane through it's flight testing. That was pretty cool. Also have a little time (10 years) on 130's and T-38's... been around a little.

What did you think of the Epic? I've seen a few on the ramp now but haven't flown one yet. If I ever make enough money I'm going to sell everything and buy a T-38 to go screw with the tourists on the beach!

Epic could be an amazing product, however they had the wrong people in place at the company. I was told when I was hired on that an A&P didn't mean anything to them, and boy was it true. We (the three of us A&P's that worked) found allot of problems with the aircraft, some pretty major such as landing gear support arm bolts shanked out and loose, wing spar attach bolts too short/bolt has no thread protrusion (actually where about 1/4 of the way backed out of the nut). With the right builder, they where outstanding aircraft. But hey, an A&P is nothing, anyone can build an airplane. If you ever get the chance, go fly one...the performance is amazing!

It's a shame that they didn't realize the A&P's are your best friend when designing an aircraft. You're the first person that finds problems after the product goes from paper to aluminum (or composite). I'll try and bum a ride from the next one I see out on the ramp, hopefully it will hold together long enough to put a smile on my face:mrgreen:

I took my family up in puff a few years back. $200 bought you a ride for 45 min. They had the guns still in and a few rows of seats. They actually left the rear door open with a cargo net over it. most of the ride I had my head through the net outside of the plane. That thing is cool. Here in Mesa is the commeorative air force that have the B-17 Sentamental jorney. That is a nother fun ride.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/B-17G%20Sentimental%20Journey.htm

jimbo