HybridZ

Clutch Replacement 101 - Questions inside

streeteg

Ok guys--- Ive searched but it looks like given the amount of different setups out there everyone's questions are specific. Here is the deal. My clutch needs replacing-- and its time for a complete overhaul. Below is a combination of what I have, what I know and what I need to find out.

Setup: RB25det motor w/ RB20det Trans

Power Goals: 400RWHP

Rb25/rb20 drivetrain parts from what I understand are all interchangable with eachother and the z32 N/A.

CLUTCH

I am ordering soon:

ACT 6 Puck Sprung CLutch

ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate

Questions: Does the ACT clutch kit come with a throwout bearing? I am callign FR sport today before I order to find out.

FLYWHEEL

Being that I love having fresh new parts my gut instinct is to buy the fidenza flywheel-- but for 300 bucks-- is there value in that? Should I just take my stocker to get resurfaced? Anyone have ideas?

Also, do the stock Z32 flywheel bolts work on this? Or should I go to EBAY for the 52 dollar flywheel bolts for the skyline?

THROWOUT BEARING/PILOT BUSHING

Phase 2 motortrend has both, however I have to call today to find out availability to see if I can get it by november 7th which ideally is when I want to do the replacement.

W/ my setup, what is the proper sized throwout collar?

Does the N/A z32 stuff work for this as well?

FLUID

I have used 2 fluids in the past w/ success. Redline MT90, and GM synchromesh (The legit 12 dollar a quart stuff). The car is a street car... so it rarely sees fast drag shifts or a ton of heat. I just need smoothness.

Anyway... If anyone can contribute that would be great--- My car is undrivable until this gets done so urgency plays on this one-- but I dont want to order the parts only 99% sure of what I am doing.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Also-- one more thing I must say--- is that before pulling everything apart the clutch engaged VERY close to the floor. AKA i didnt have to let the clutch out at all for it to engage--- i would say abotu a half inch of travel before it engaged--- is this a result of a throwout collar/bearing being too short?

I have bought 4 clutches in the past few years different cars off Ebay all ACT and they all came with throwout bearings even the ones that did not show them in the pic. Every clutch kit I have seen bought offline from when I worked at my friends shop always came with them. The auto part stores and the dealerships usually do not include them.

For a street car just get your flywheel lightened and resurfaced. Its cheap and it works. I'm not pushing any crazy numbers on my car at all 220 hp at the wheels right now. I do beat on it regularly though and with the stage one clutch I have in it it works like a charm. So if your not looking for super ultra light just lighten your stocker, put the money saved towards a pressure plate and clutch. Just to note though my RB 25 on the lightened stocker is quite snappy still in the revs ... snappier than my bros L28 with tripples

Good luck

Chris