HybridZ

a 283z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys! First off, just want to say that you are by far the most knowledgable people on V8Z's that I have found. Keep up the great advice. Anyways, I wanted another opinion on a V8Z that I recently test drove. It's a '71 240z with a 283ci chevy w/ 350 tranny. It has Edelbrock intake and carbs, and B&M shifter, and glasspack exausts. The 283 came out of a 60something truck and was installed according to JTR. The seats were a little banged up, but otherwise pretty good interior. The body had a bit of rust (nothing major) and a bunch of dings. I checked it out, drove it, it ran great, and the guy was selling it for about$2800. I was all for getting it, but my dad convinced me not to, so that I could buy a straight 240 and swap in my own V8. Anyways, just wanted to know if I passed up the deal of the century or whatever.

JasRys

Welcome aboard! I wouldnt say you passed on the deal of a lifetime but at the same time the price doesnt seem bad either.

283 can scream and the car is set up jtr. You said some rust was evident, where? That came be pretty important. How fresh was the motor? any big hi dollar mods to motor, trans, suspension.

Remember there are plenty of others out there and your father has a point. Do it yourself and you get to build the Z to your needs, wants and desires. If the money is there. Good luck and do not be in a hurry, I speak from plenty of experience in that area.

Patients pays in the long run.

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

Your father gave you the right call IMO. You'll be happier with a rust free Z. You can always do the swap yourself and make it the way you want it. Happy hunting for the right Z first.

Avoid Z's with the older automatic trannys. They spin too high on the freeway. If you buy one that is already converted make sure the tranny is an overdrive unit like a 700R4.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

and what about a t56 or a borg? are those worth the extra buxx on a tight budget, or would the money be better off spent on something else?

A World Class T5 is not really that expensive--about $650-$750. But it really depends on how you drive the car (will you abuse the tranny? How much HP will your engine make?). The T65 is the ultimate, in terms of everything IMO, but it is too pricey for my blood--maybe $1700 with everything said and done, but you'll never break it. If you are building a "mild" V8 with 350 cubes or less, you can probably use a T5 with no problems. Follow the recommendations in the JTR manual and you'll be OK. Have fun and don't jump on a sale just because it's the next thing you see.

Davy

Pete gives some sage advice here. I would like to add that what you build is what you envision the car to be. If you already have a 283 or 302, by all means use it! If you don't have a motor yet, you may want to consider a 327, but again, don't let me or anyone else choose for you. I believe in cubes, but what is the "right amount" of torque for you? A 283 will make more torque than a staight six. A 302 will make more than a 283, while a 327 will make more...you get the idea. It's your choice, but read Pete's comments again and chew on that for a while--you are doing this on a budget so your best choice may be something even like a 350, which will happen to be available and cheap--be flexible with a budget; you'll be much happier and maybe get better components all around. Just my $.02

Davy

Guest Anonymous

ive been debating back and forth between the 283 (hence the name!) 302 and even 327. i think there are many advantages and disadvantages to each example: 283 possibly over 300 hp low torque which is good and bad: good because more of an original feeling for the z, very high winding,also allows the use of the cheaper and lighter t5 tranny, bad side being is it enough hp? and torque? especially for the time and money being spent? and head selection is limited because of the sub 4" bore. i know that probably was more confusing than anything but hope i helped.! DAn

An old hotrodder buddy of mine used to have a 69 Z/28 with the 302. He actually didn't like how it drove around town as the motor made little torque down low. Sure was a blast up high though!

One of the things I didn't like about the stock Z was the need to rev to make torque. That's the whole reason I went to a V8 anyway.

Personally, I'd go no lower than a 327. They rev quick, and have a sweet disposition. Torque down low is good as well. That extra 1/4" of stroke over the 283/302 is worth something.

Your point about will it have enough torque and power when your done spending the same money on a larger motor is dear to my heart. Making more torque and power is easier with more stroke and cubes.