HybridZ

Stereo install?!

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

How in the HECK do you get the stock stereo out?! I want to put in a better unit w/ a woofer, already have an amp. However, the only way I can figure to get the dang thing out is to rip off half of the dash. Is this the only way, or am I missing something? Also, does anybody have a favorite system to use? Any not to use? I have an essentially non-existing budget, so bargains are great!!!!

I am running a Panasonic headunit (sorry, I didn't install it so I can't tell you how to get it out, but my current head unit just pulls right out) with 4 - 4.25" JBL midrange/tweeter combos, powered by the head unit, 2 - 6x9" Jensen midrange drivers (temporary only) and 1 - 10" Rockford Fosgate Series 1 amp (again, only temporary - I get a new Fosgate sub tomorrow) powered by and crossed over through a Lanzar 800w 4 channel amp.

A single 10" sub actually hits fairly hard in the small cabin of a Z, but I'm thinking about just either running a single 12" or possible dual 10"'ers...I'll see how the new sub I'm installing tomorrow does...

The Jensens do OK for midbass (I bought two enclosures at walmart for $29 and the 6x9's were close to the same, again...better than nothing at all, I don't use them for high's or bass, only midbass)

I also bought the 10" enclosure at walmart, it's actually a nice little enclosure for the money (about $30).

They fit just about perfectly in the hatch area and still leave me plenty of room for storage area....

the Lanzar amp only ran me $135 new, so for less than $200 I got a pretty decent sounding system FOR THE TYPE OF MUSIC I LISTEN TO!

That's the key. Build the system for YOUR music and YOUR ears. Very few systems are going tp sound good to everybody and be able to play all genres of music equally.

I normally prefer JL subs, but I'm getting the Fosgates for free...eventually I'll run a couple of JL 10" W3's...

Guest greimann

If you are talking about a ZX stereo, you need first remove the armrest, trim panels under each side of the instrument panel, and then the center pod where the stereo is. Once it is out, it is nice to work on. You will probably have to fab up a panel to accept a single DIN type of stereo.

Ok, installed the new 10" Rockford Fosgate XLC subwoofer last night.

It's actually a bit better and really compliments the rest of the system quite well. Not too bass heavy, but definitely enough bass to turn heads and make your favorite music rock!

I personally listen to Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, etc...along with alot of Rave and an occasional bass electronica piece...

However, even if you don't spend the money on a Fosgate, JL, or other high end sub, even a cheap Kenwood or Jensen can sound good if they are in a good box, have a good amp, and are crossed over properly (I've seen way too many good speakers sound like garbage only because they are in poor boxes and aren't being crossed over properly, if at all)

Guest comeandzpa

what about the plate that MSA sells to put any stereo into the stock hole? I think that theyre like 20 bucks? Also, what about Crutchfield? I know that they sell car-specific install kits; would this item be a part of one?