HybridZ

Frozen Wiper Linkage

Rat Fink

Not sure if this warrants a new thread but the way I searched didn't give much. Sorry if it's a repeat.

My wipers stopped working, and I tried the Honda replacement, but once I got in there I found the linkage to be the problem. The metal-metal "bearing" that the wiper mounts to was so frozen I needed a torch and hammer to get it apart. Even after cleaning and polishing and lubing, it went together so tight it wouldn't rotate. I started sanding until the cad plating was gone and the thing was out of round, obviously a very short term solution.

Step 1: Call MSA, they say they have no replacement, and have never seen a frozen one work properly again, go to the junkyard.

Step 2: Google search, nobody makes a replacement.

Step 3: Call the junkyard recommended in a thread here.

Step 4: get a nationwide online junkyard search service to work on it.

NOTHING!

What am I missing?

Thanks

:banghead:

I just moved my wipers to the corners of the windsheild om my Z31. I have no idea if the linkage was the same, but I pulled the shafts that the arms fit on and cut off the ball joints, then I drilled and tapped the arms that move the wipers. Then replaced the linkage with Heim joints and 5/16" rod. Like I said, I have no idea if your system is the same as mine, so I hope this helps if all else fails.

Thanks, yeah my linkage is a bit more spartan than the one you describe, no such ball joints,... I was thinking I could replace the metal-metal shaft bearing with something better.

Pick a part? yeah, not for years...I was trying to get a place to mail me one.

I got more money than time, any young guys want to go get it for me, for compensation? I saw a thread where a guy paid $60 mail order, sounds like a deal to me.

Eric,

I was just at a few junk yards this past week and only saw 1 S30 up in Long Beach. I saw this thread after I got back.

You may try the WTB ad here or wait until someone posts a part out thread. Besides, what are you doing driving your car in the rain, the whole 3 days a year it rains here?

Thanks Bo, I was almost ready to head over to pick a part, (bandages are off today)

I really want to mill out the mounts and put in at least a brass bearing, but I don't want to get too sidetracked.

Yeah I haven't had wipers for a year, and you'd be surprised at how many times I've had to drive home wet and wiperless in the rainy season. I could put it off longer.

Edited by Rat Fink
Kind of personal Off topic stuff belongs in PM

i went to pick in pull earlier this afternoon and saw a clean s30 with everything intact from a newer 77 280z. i thought about this thread and almost smashed the wiper linkages. j/k. i should have taken it because the thing looks like its in mint condition with original yellow grease and gold linkages. too bad mine still works.