HybridZ

FUMES!!!!!

alsil

Ok, gettin' tired of this.

I have been working on cutting down the fumes in my car.

I have replaced:

- Tailight gaskets.

- Rear Hatch Gaskets.

Now I am getting frustrated. But I have some ideas, someone tell me how feasable they are.

1. Whoever had the car before me Did one of those rollbar on the wheelwell jobs, and the holes are still there, right through the vinyl and carpet. Thinking maybe fumes are coming up from there.

2. I put in the rear swaybar from MSA when I first got the car, but I removed it because I didn't like it. The holes are covered by insulation and carpet, but could it still be coming in from there?

3. I have a small hole from a light switch on the rear deck (between the hatch gasket and the ledge abouve the taillights), and I'm going to put in a new switch, right now it's open though. There is insulation on the other side of it, what do you think?

4. Think maybe the marker lights could be contributing? I can make new gaskets for them too.

Any ideas would be appreciated...I can't drive the car with the window down. Kills me..... puke.gif

Thanks

AL 2thumbs.gif

I got rid of all the extra stuff that goes along with the fuel tank, it was all pretty old and VERY expensive to replace. I plugged up the tank well, there's no leaks there. I had one Z that had a leak in a few of the hoses and wasn't going to take ANY chances with that again.

Thanks

AL

Do you have exhaust or gas fumes?

When you removed the vent lines from the tank, did you seal the openings that the vent lines passed through? Also make sure your tank is still vented in some way. Otherwise as the gas heats up with the morning air, it will build up pressure that has to get out somewhere. Maybe through the fill tube into the tank?

Might also try removing all of the carpet and interior panels from the hatch area. Then put the car in an otherwise dark garage with a work light underneath. Move the light around and look for light inside the car. If light gets through, then so will fumes.

I would say keep at it and find the source of the leak. A lot of guys seem content to live with fumes. My 70 has no such problems (once I replaced all the tank vent hoses).

Hey, Al,

This might be a stupid question, but have you adjusted the hatch at the hinges to close a bit tighter?

One thing I've done in the past to find the source of exhaust infiltration is to take a dollar bill and lay it across the weatherstrip. Close the hatch, and try to wiggle the bill. If it moves easily from inside the car, it's not sealing properly. If it doesn't, move it around the hatch a few inches and try again. If you're sealing well all around the hatch and you're still getting exhaust in the car, maybe you're leaking somewhere else and it's getting in through the floorboards or the firewall?

How far does your exhaust tip protrude from the rear of the car? The further the better, I understand.

Hope this helps. I had a Z like that once, and it darned near killed me.

Guest zphreek

alsil...what did you use to plug up your tank vent stuff with??i have been wanting to do this but was unsure of what to use. also, where did you find a vented gas cap from?

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check the hatch gasket tonight, maybe it needs adjusting.

I'm also going to plug every hole there is in the car. Unless I can get rid of the fumes, I just plain can't drive the car. I got sick on Wednesday when I drove it to work. WAY too many fumes. Hopefully i can take care of this problem. Takes the fun out of driving the car when you're afraid to drive it because of the fumes!

Oh, and I plugged the tank with a few brass fittings, but I left the vent hose that goes to the filler pipe on, because I knew I had to have some sort of vent. I bought a vented cap at Kragen's.

Thanks

AL 2thumbs.gif