HybridZ

Alternater output wiring

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am wondering what functional purpose the external wires have on a typical alternator. Most have a 'plug' with several wires (red)and a thicker yellow. I guess the thicker wire goes to the starter and dont know what the smaller 'plugged' wires are used for. Also I have heard of a 'one wire' alternator and wonder what that is also.

Steve

The "one wire" alternator is one that only uses a single wire that goes from the alternator to the battery (at the alternator I believe a jumper is used for voltage sensing), but these alternators require a little more rotational speed before they "kick in" than the normal 3 wire set-ups. Also, typically, the larger the alternator (amp wise), the higher the rpm that they kick in at (1300-1500 rpm). Once they've kicked in, they will still charge the system down below the kick in speed, and on the smaller ones may countinuously charge until the engine is turned off.

Guest greimann

Umm, yea, my new wheels hehe.. tongue.gif Great price, pretty much free. Cut and paste in Corel Photo Paint from a Tire Rack ad. I am trying to convince myself that I need those, and I figure that If I see them every day on each post, It will be inevitable. I believe that is #6 of the 7 deadly sins! flamedevil.gif

They are ASA J5's.