HybridZ

No power to fuel pump '76 280z

Guest garhpd

Hey guys, I recently inherited a 1976 280z that is in sweet condition. It has been sitting covered for a number of years. I see an RB swap in it's future, however for now I am trying to get it running with the original engine so I can drive it around for a bit.

lrg-1548-img_2729.JPG

Anyhow, I cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump. If you jumper the pump the car will run.

Without the jumper, the fuel pump only has power when you are cranking the engine. If the engine starts and the key goes back to the ON position, the pump quits and then the engine dies shortly after.

I replaced the main relay with a new one. I also tested the fuel pump switch circuit in the afm and I have continuity when you open the air valve.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thank you!

Guest Gr8White
Hey guys, I recently inherited a 1976 280z that is in sweet condition. It has been sitting covered for a number of years. I see an RB swap in it's future, however for now I am trying to get it running with the original engine so I can drive it around for a bit.

lrg-1548-img_2729.JPG

Anyhow, I cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump. If you jumper the pump the car will run.

Without the jumper, the fuel pump only has power when you are cranking the engine. If the engine starts and the key goes back to the ON position, the pump quits and then the engine dies shortly after.

I replaced the main relay with a new one. I also tested the fuel pump switch circuit in the afm and I have continuity when you open the air valve.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thank you!

Try the ignition switch, mine did the exact same thing. Mine would start missing in traffic too and I could turn the key off and then on again and it would run just fine for a few miles more then repeat the process....