HybridZ

Removing A/C

TomoHawk

Which components of the A/C can you remove on a 280Z with original everything, and still have it operate? As far as I know, the A/C isn't hooked into the (computer) so maybe you could disconnect the pump and remove the wiring/relay/switches?

I was thinking more like the stuff under the hood and maybe some relays & wires. I plan on keeping the ducting in place, except for the (condenser?) so the heater & defogger will work. I've never used the air in my other car, so why keep it in the Z?

BTW, I was out in the Z on Sat. with the windows down, and at 30+ mph, you get some good air going through there...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the plastic bottle was a vacuum bottle.

I took the car to a local radiator shop where the guys were really friendly and knowledgable. They removed the a/c pump, fixed the heater controls and lubed up the cables. Not cheap, but had to be done.

Maybe next summer I'll go at the a/c evaporator with the sawz-all, and take it out in pieces. Should give more airflow with the lesser restriction. The radiator guy said they'd have to remove the dash to get the ervaporator out the regular way.

Now there's room for a p.s. pump.

• 2 months later...

I want to get rid of all of my A/C stuff under the hood too (not internal ducting), so if somebody wants it, its free for pick up or the cost of shipping (NorthWest OH). I'm not sure what works and what doesn't though, i just know the Nissan dealership said it was fine, just needed refilled, and it was cold for about a week, then nothing. My heater doesn't work either, so probably heater control cables not adjusted right. its a '77 280z, and i don't care about A/C and i'm sick of working around it under the hood (i hate clutter haha).

I haven't taken it off yet because i don't know what to do with the vacuum lines, and i'm not positive what all i can take off? any suggestions?

thanks. Pat.