HybridZ

Cleaning Fuel Tank

Miles

Guest Anonymous

I once had a tank boliled out from a 54 Chevy. The professional shop must have baked the tank instead of boiled it since a good crust of crud coated the rust.I ran a waak solution of muriatic acid for about 20 minutes in the tank before my nerve ran out. I placed about 10 feet of heavy link chain and shook it off and on for a couple of weeks rinsing it out with water and air dried it with compessor air. Finally the water ran clear. I called around and bought this "red gas tank sealer" in a quart can that you poured in the tank and moved around until it was coated all over. You definitely had to be careful with all the openings not getting plugged with the sealer.Worked good. If you have one boiled out make sure they have the understanding that you want the inside clean too. I took the tank for a second cleaning but the effort was futile and then took matters in my own hands with shake ,rattle and roll of the chain.

Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

I took my tank to a local fuel tank/radiator repair place. They boiled it out, fixed the leaks, pressure tested it, reapplied new foam pads and tagged it as being tested and by whom for $60. It was well worth it.

-Mark