HybridZ

What Shifter Handle for Auto Trans?

TomoHawk

The old stock one is cracked and looks real bad, so I took it off and push the button down with my thumb to shift. I want something nice and classy. Maybe a shifter handle from another car will fit?

Any ideas?

I would prefer a new shifter with an H-shaped gate on it...

Hurst Dual gate is the one you are thinking of. I have a B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter for sale. Shifter, both round and a T handle, console from a Star shifter, and the cable. You will need trans bracket an shift arm. I'm asking $50. Email me I'll send you a pic. If you want to go junkyard and have a 3 speed, the 73-81 Camaro shifter is pretty decent, cheap too. It is a "slapstick" shifter. Push it sideways and forwards and it only goes up one gear. Pretty cool. Also found in Vegas and Monzas. (I am assuming you have a V8 car? Othewise, a newer Z shifter might work.)

I took apart the shifter handle and I found out that all there is in there is a pushrod & spring. So all you need is a shifter handle that's big enough to bore a hole (about .75inch diameter and .6 inch deep) to fit over the shifter and then a hole through to the top. Make a longer pushrod & put it together for a cool 4-speed looking auto-trans shifter. That way you can use a carbon one or whatever. Mine will be aluminium :D and the 'button' will be have a slot-shape.

Another idea would be to replace the whole shifter handle by removing the current one from the fork-like thing at the bottom, then weld on another shifter shaft of the kind that turns you on.

Even more like a 4-speed look brcause you're actually using a 4-speed shifter lever! Just figure out how to run the pushrod inside.