HybridZ

Some pics of my fuel cell/tank installed.

piston

i got bored so i snap some pics of my fuel tank installed. i used 1.5 and 1 inch square tubing plus some pretty thick sheet metal. took me two weekends and finally done today. my batery will drop in next to the fuel tank and everything should sit flush and clean once carpet lays down around them. this looks easy and simple but was the most fabrication/cutting and welding i have ever done so far.

here is a pic of the tubes welded in except for the cell supports.

SDC11649.jpg

SDC11651.jpg

heres how it looks like with my dirty tank inside the square.

SDC11656.jpg

the pic is dark but you get an idea where the sump hangs from the rear view.

SDC11660.jpg

i dont have any pics of the bullet proof overkill batery box before welding in but this is a pic after i welded it in and patch up the opennings with some thick sheet metal. its not going anywhere! im thinking about welding in a mesh on the bottom of the batery floor. ill be using seam sealer around the tack area to where it meets the chaisis shetmetal and cover it up.

SDC11668.jpg

SDC11669.jpg

thats it for now. roll cage is up next...

Edited by piston
edit

Looks great for somebody who says they don't have much experience.

Before you weld on your cage - please clean up both pieces of metal you are welding together with a grinder/flap wheel. Ok to cut corners like this on the beauty panels for your cell, but not when doing cage welds.

i will be grinding the cage corners with a disc wheels and actually i been doing the same thing to the fuel support bars on pics above the joints im welding together. if i dont grind it, it will not stick like how i want it and plus it pops like crazy. but i can play with it and get the right setting on different areas depending on thickness.

i will be putting carpet around it and use trunk weather strip seal in between the cell and tubes to cover up the 1/2inch gap so nothing will fly up into the trunk area. i was thinking about making a cover that can lift up and fill and drop back down on top to cover the tank but i like the look of a nice flat tank visible in the back with nice new carpet surrounding.

i had a question for the guys running open tank like this. does it smell like fuel after filling or while driving? i would assume...

I have a very similar setup, but I dropped the tank below the rear deck so I could put a dzus fastened cover over the top of the cell and battery box.

If the side of the cell aren't sealed well you will get exhuast fumes, but it sounds like you have it covered with the weatherstripping Idea.

here's a pic of my setup for reference....

zcar028.jpg

zcar007.jpg

I also have the standard hatch carpet that goes over the entire area.

My setup wasn't designed to be like this from the beginning so its a little cobbled together but it functions.

that's funny because that is exactly how mine is set up. batery next to the cell and roll cage bars drop down and welds next to it like that also. my batery box is fully cover all 4 sides but the bottom is open. i dont want the batery to look like crap from dirt flying on to it from the wheel.

i would hate to go through those 7 lock pins every time i pump gas.

• 2 weeks later...
that's funny because that is exactly how mine is set up. batery next to the cell and roll cage bars drop down and welds next to it like that also. my batery box is fully cover all 4 sides but the bottom is open. i dont want the batery to look like crap from dirt flying on to it from the wheel.

i would hate to go through those 7 lock pins every time i pump gas.

I still need to box in the battery. It's been on my list of"things to do" for a while. The 7 dzus fasteners are kind of a bitch but they work for the time being and are decently quick to pop out.

Your set up came out nicer looking than mine. Looks great!

• 2 weeks later...