HybridZ

black top sr20 starting issue! need help asap!

ok here's whats up...today i went to walmart and i noticed my temperature was doing some crazy stuff. idling at 150 degrees at stop lights and going to 180 degrees in parking lots. when i came back out to my car it had a lot of trouble starting. my ecu was clicking and making a bunch of noise. after it started i noticed my right turn signal was back to normal timing (it used to be too fast). if i pumped the gas it would eventually fire up. when i got back to my barracks i turned it off and attempted to start it multiple times. sometimes it would fire right up but most of the time i had to pump the gas. i put a new walbro in it about 2 weeks ago. when i did this it had a worn rubber seal that goes around the rim of the gas tank where the fuel pump mounts. could this be an issue of the seal not sealing the tank for pressure? a few days ago i noticed a gas smell that was pretty strong inside the car while driving. i was also wondering if the head gasket could be the problem also? it's got a 2mm metal HG in it....please help!

First thing I would check is your Grounds, battery posts not corroded etc. Next find some specs on your coolant temp sensor and make sure it is working correctly. Sounds like you are over fueling or starving, a bad CTS usually causes over fueling making an engine hard to start.

Might also check and make sure you have a good strong spark. The pickup module for my 280Z went out recently causing similar problems. Sometimes the engine would have weak spark, or the ignition would cut out intermittently and wouldn't start if it stalled. Other times it would run like a top and start just fine. Well that is if SRs have a dizzy... just kinda generalizing FI engines here XD.

First thing I would check is your Grounds, battery posts not corroded etc. Next find some specs on your coolant temp sensor and make sure it is working correctly. Sounds like you are over fueling or starving, a bad CTS usually causes over fueling making an engine hard to start.

Might also check and make sure you have a good strong spark. The pickup module for my 280Z went out recently causing similar problems. Sometimes the engine would have weak spark, or the ignition would cut out intermittently and wouldn't start if it stalled. Other times it would run like a top and start just fine. Well that is if SRs have a dizzy... just kinda generalizing FI engines here XD.

the car never runs over 181 degrees F. and thats if im on the highway running 3000rpm's+ for long periods of time. it has an autometer water temp gauge in it.

i just went and had the battery and alternator volts measured and they're both doing alright. a buddy of mine had a similar problem to mine and those are what they ended up being.

when i got back from the auto store i messed with the fuel pump lines and bolts a little and it started a little easier but still not like it used to.

i am in a huge hurry to figure this out. i'm active duty military and i'm supposed to drive 2.5 hours to dallas early thursday to catch a plane home. please help!

• 2 weeks later...