HybridZ

Neolite H4 headlights

Guest Anonymous

Does Neolight have any information via the web? Doing a couple of basic searches (neolight+auto, neolight+headlight, etc.) yielded nothing productive. Are they replacement headlamps, or what?

Scott Ferguson

1974 240-Z - Awaiting V8 conversion

Guest Anonymous

Well, over the last few days I've done tons of research on H4 replacements for the Z car.

I ordered a pair of Neolites and have them now I think they are rather thin glass and may not hold up to highway rocks ect.

Neolite is a company out of India they make headlamps for the european market mainly but several companies like Motorsport Auto and Classic Garage are importing the H4 convertions. Autopal also out of India sells the same product at near the same prices and quality, they are also available at Motorsport Auto.

Cibie is the leader in aftermarket lights for pro drivers like team orca(Vipers at Le Mans) ect. and you will pay the price for them!

Hela makes a H4 convertion as well they are second rate to the Cibie light in brightness but the build quality is said to be the same and compairable in price to the Cibie's.

Another recent find is Maxtel sold by Eurolights on the net and JC Witney They are said to be inferior to the Hela's and Cibie's in lighting power and quality but utilize a metal back and lead crystal glass.

Any H4 replacement lamp will be far superior to ALL sealed beams and I would imagine a Xenon bulb would further the differance.

I was looking for opinions on longevity and performance of the Neolites. And possibly the same for the Maxtel's or Hellas

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Sundance (edited January 20, 2001).]

I've got the Hella setup on mine - hence the wiring harness upgrade I've posted here! The Hellas, with full voltage, are plenty bright but will heat your headlight switch PDQ without relays! Housings are fairly heavy glass. I was tempted to put higher wattage bulbs in mine until I saw how bright they were with relays. Measure the voltage on the stock wiring at the bulbs, you could be surprised how low it might be.

Guest Anonymous

Hey BLKMGK, You say that the Hellas are fairly thick glass? The Neolites that I bought don't look like they could handle even a single rock! Do the Hellas have a glass or metal back to them? Also did you get the DOT, E-code, or Super E-code version?

Thanks for your reply!

The Hellas have a glass back but the Datsun metal can is still behind it. If you look at the tech article you'll see it in the pics. As for th etype of Hella - it was on the car when I bough tit so I don't know which it is - can you tell from the lens?

When I bought the car it had a BRAND NEW signalswitch stalk. I found this out when the lights ceased working th efirst time I used them - the next day they were dead. I had bad carbon on the brushes and the plastic aorund the column had melted a tiny bit (grr). The second time I used them they died right away and I had to really tinker with the brand new switch - I was ticked! The relays fixed all of that - no more problems at all...

Could you possibly share a website that I could look up some of these lights? I used to have a source for Autopals, but I'm not sure they're still in business.

For the record, I've got a set of large Autopals on my BMW, and they performed very well for what I paid for them. The light distribution is excellent, with a very sharp low beam cutoff line that makes them very easy to aim. The high beam performance is excellent. When I hit the high beams, it's like a pair of aircraft landing lights have ignited. And that's without 100 watt bulbs, either! On the negative side, there are a few tiny bubbles in the lens that might make them more fragile than Hellas. One of them did get hit with a rock and shatter, so I know that the glass they're made of is no thicker than a standard halogen headlight. Perhaps Hellas are thicker, I don't know.

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z (awaiting V8 conversion...)

Guest Anonymous

Did someone say links????

Eurolamp, Maxtel same as JC Whitney @ http://members.aol.com/eurolamps/index.html

Great info on H4 covertions @ http://lighting.mbz.org/

Cibie USA dealer @ http://www.cibieusa.com/e-code_lamps.htmhttp://www.cibieusa.com/e-code_lamps.htm

Autopal and Neolite Dealer @ http://www.ixprss.com/h4lights/welcome.asp

alternative (read cheaper) Hella and Neolite dealer @ http://www.classicgarage.com/accessories.html

You can tell what kind you have but looking at the lense for a "E" or "DOT" also DOT head lamps have three bumps on the lense for mechanical aiming.

BLKMGK, How thick is the glass on the hellas?

RPMS, I thought as much about the Autopals!

and another link for painless wireing @ http://www.painlessperformance.com/

Hope that helps!

Thanks fo rthe links! Now, if we could just find a HID conversion that actually has hi-beams.... smile.gif As for th eglass - having never broken them I can't say - it "seems" thick and is fairly heavy but I'm sorry that's not very helpful. I'll check for th ebumps next time I'm in the garage - it's damned cold here and I've been getting home pretty late here recently (sigh).

Oh, and if you do th econversion I did - do NOT use the painless harness! I noted which one I thought was better in my article - it's cheaper and you won't be wasting valuable parts liek I did. I was forced to cut and solder some stuff - if you're going to do that anyway the other harness is mucho' better IMO but I've not had one in my hands so buyer beware...

• 1 year later...

Relay wiring is very easy:

1 wire from battery + to relay

1 wire from relay to lights

1 wire from relay to earth

1 wire from headlight switch to relay.

Most relays have a little diagram on the housing somewhere, and if it's a 3 terminal relay, then the housing is the earth and should be mounted so that the housing is grounded.

HTH.

Tim

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

whoops, double post

anyway, do i need to supply any additional wires or are the ones i need there already and/or accompanied with the relay?

and i only need 2 right?