HybridZ

280 motor revival

I've been working on my 240 since last year, and it's really slowgoing. I've got 2 motors for it, and I'll be using the 2.8 with the 5 speed. I've never seen the car run so I'm playing roulette with the motor. Last I decided to drain the old oil (black death and smells like fuel) and the filter. Put in 5 litres of Castrol GTX 10w30 and a cheap Fram Filter (just for testing purposes, will use good stuff after). It still doesn't show full on the dipstick it's around halfway (book says 5 litres).

Should I put some Deep Creep down the plug holes before trying to free up the motor (don't know if it's seized) and doing a compression test? Should I be really scared the rings are done and that being why the oil is so fuelly (have the same issue with my '68 Lincoln)?

Just put a little oil on the top end if you are worried about the rings. Then crank it by HAND for a few turns with the plugs out. It should spin freely if its not seized. You should hear air going in and out. Then hook every thing back up and see where you are at with a compression test.

Yeah I did what you said. Spun freely. Did the compression test with the plugs out (that's what my fellow shopmates suggested (to get a true reading on each cylinder).

I started at the front of the motor and went back. 3 cylinders are good, one is kinda low, and 2 are dead. Readings were:

1: 145 PSI

2: 140 PSI

3: 60 PSI

4: 145 PSI

5: 115 PSI

6: 60 PSI

I'm pretty sure that was the order. I wrote it all down but forgot the note at the shop. None of the parts stores open had a leakdown tester, so I was out of luck. My friend says do the leakdown for better diagnosis. Most likely something wrong with the head right?

Can the motor run? Compression tests are best with a warm block and ALWAYS W.O.T. The key is consistency in the numbers. A drop like that might be rings or valves. A leak down test will tell you if your head is the problem.

Edit:

If you have put oil in the cylinder than you have a wet test. If you can run it to burn off the oil and do another compression test this is a dry test any BIG change in numbers would show rings

Edited by neotech84
wet dry