HybridZ

G force Accelerometer

260DET

Anyone used one of these Kat Matrix gadgets? http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KAT-MATRIX&cat=CON

Just wondering if there is a memory playback, so you can review the data after a run. I'll probably get one anyway and use the incar video camera to record the data on screen, its an alternative to getting a Vbox video data logger which is a touch more expensive, just a touch :)

Finally, does anyone have circuit cornering G force figures for their Z, preferably on semi slicks?

I have some G-force data from a TraqMate logger at an autocross. I have stock dampers with cut springs in a stripped out 240 that weighs a little under 2000lbs. My tires are Nito NT-01Rs (I think you'd consider them a semi-slick). I was reaching peak Gs in the neighborhood of 1.15 Gs and sustained Gs of about 0.95 Gs. Obviously your results may vary depending on the track surface and setup.

Yeh one G seems to be a sort of average, at least at relatively lower race speeds, guess at high speed aero would come into it quite a bit.

I just think that being able to record this info would help with improving lap times, both from car setup and driver input.

I've heard that quite a few of the nationally competitive autocrossers are starting to data log, but in my admittedly short experience with data logging I'd have to say in an autocross situation I don't think it's particularly useful. I could never find the time to really look at the data, maybe if I had more help I could have used it to make line adjustments. I really can't imagine using it to setup a car. You don't get enough runs on a particular track configuration to really tell what would have changed on account of your setup.

Like I said though, my experience is with autocross. On a road course where you can get a lot of laps in a row and the track is always setup the same I think it would be great.

Yeh one G seems to be a sort of average, at least at relatively lower race speeds, guess at high speed aero would come into it quite a bit.

Yeah, we were doing about 45mph in that corner. So some aero might come into play at higher speed, but my car doesn't have any aerodynamic aids except an MSA type 1 airdam (I think it's a little better than the factory valance).

For some comparison, my friends 911 was pulling about .5 Gs higher with the same tires (just a bit wider). I'm usually on the outside bumpstops in any kind of sweeper, so my inside tires probly weren't doing much to help.

Video data recorders are a good thing I reckon, at least for circuit work. Rather than looking at a lot of squiggly lines you can actually see how you and the car are performing all round the circuit. Like here

eg the GTST Skyline there is pulling up to 1.3 G in the slower corners on semis.