HybridZ

240z?

Guest Sean280z

Guest Sean280z

I have wanted to put a v8 it my z for the longest time. But my z is a 77 and there is no way i could ever pass smog in california so i had to control my erge. Almost three years later after having my 77 restored i still want to get a V8 z. So i have been keeping my eye out for a pre smog z and i think i found one. The z i found is a 240 with an EXCELENT body. The car has been sitting for at least a couple of years and its pretty rough, but the body is sooo straight. I looked the car up and down and didnt even see one single door dent. Not a scratch on it(that i could see). If my memory serves me right 240z's stop in 73 and then go to the 260's right? I live in california and i know smog exempt is right around 73, does anyone know for sure when the cutoff is for the smog? If this car is a 73 and the smog exemption starts at 73 does that mean i wont have to smog it still?

The guy is asking $800 for this car which is a bit high for all the stuff i want to do to it, but i cant pass this car up to how good of shape it is and how complete the car is. putting aside the cost of the motor what should i expect to spend on the mounts and all that good stuff? price of tranny?

Any help would be great because i am really looking forward to going through with this project. I actually have another project i am working on, its a 72 Chevy Nova but i would cancel that for a v8 z in a second.

Thanks,

Sean

Guest Anonymous

Well...In California, a car is smog exempt as a 1973 and earlier, which would make the 240z a perfect candidate for a V8 swap. Being that the car is a California car, it may not have any issues with rust, but you still want to make absoulutly sure. Take a look around at the other forums. These guys are a wealth of information. Check out www.jagsthatrun.com and get the manual. They also have prices on motor mounts and such.

JasRys

Let me echo a few thoughts here:

First, any 240Z is smog exempt in CA. If the car is a 260Z, you'll have to smog it. Law states that any car 1973 or older is smog exempt.

Second, the 280Z and 260Z can be V8 converted legally--you just have to use an engine that is the same year as the car or newer, including all the smog equipment that came with the engine. This means the charcoal cannister, EGR valve, oxygen sensor (if applicable). It's not really that difficult, but you can run into problems if your motor sports a big cam, etc. Nothing wrong with running a smog legal V8Z--still plenty fast.

That said, I like 240Z because of nostalgia--it started the Z craze. They are also lighter and look the best IMO.

First thing you need to do is check out the car and be sure it has no rust. Total the cost for the car to make it roadworthy. Figure anywahere from $1000-$3000 for a motor and $700-$1700 for a tranny.

Your best friend and consultant is the JTR bible. Get it, and read it over 3 times at least. It will answer nearly all of your questions. Then, ask questions in the forum on the stuff it does not cover.

Good luck with your Z project.

DavyZ

Guest Anonymous

Although probably not quite as strict, Missouri laws are pretty similar to CA. Our cutoff is 73. I'm converting a 76 280z with a 95 Corvette LT1 and 6 speed. I'm far from finished but from everything I've read/heard, I can pass emissions as long as my engine's year is >= to my car and as long as all emissions equipment that was originally present on the MOTOR is still present (this includes pcv, charcoal canister, cats, air pump, etc.) And then I think it has to pass the emissions standards (at the tail pipe) that a 95 Corvette did. That shouldn't be too hard!

Guest Anonymous

Echo'ing what the others said cars are cut off at 73 and are exempt from testing (but not exempt from smog controls on the engine if they want to get picky or you hit a roadside check they could make you smog it exempt or not). As someone pointed out a while ago also, it is a rolling 30 years, but that will take a while before anything later 73 is exempt. (a 74 will be exempt in 2004 and so on...) Its a weird little ruling but I did find it at the CARB site (Cal. air resource board).

That said, driving a V8 240z is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. IMHO icon_cool.gif

Regards,

Lone

Just a heads up - if you're working on a car that didn't originally have catalytic converters the states will usually NOT force you to add them on in a swap. They reason that it's too dangerous due to heat issues...

Hrm, VA's rolling 25year deal is starting to souond pretty decent. I'm shocked!

$800?!?!

Let me get this straight - There's a rust-free (or nearly so) California 240 with no body damage, and you're asking if that's TOO MUCH??? Oy...

Think of it this way. Buy the car for $800. You won't be using the engine anyway, so you can sell it, the carbs, and the tranny to someone to help finance the deal.

As long as there isn't a monumental amount of hidden rust, that sounds like an incredible deal, to me. Go to him with $650 cash in hand and see if he takes it...

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z - $600, but had NO floorboards, big bodywork, obvious metal damage, etched glass, no A/C, and an engine that would BARELY run.