HybridZ

Weber DCOE 40s & 1/2" spacers...newb question

Konish

Howdy...first post here and several searches were not too fruitful, so I here goes...

I just bought a very nice 240z (Built AUG '71) here in Japan (US model that I bought from an Active Duty guy here in Yokosuka). Promise...I'll post pics later.

Anyway, the deal came with a set of triple Weber DCOE 40s. However, the included Mikuni manifold interferes with the back of the carbs keeping them from mounting flush (especially the throttle shaft towers). I took some measurements and with the long studs cluing me in a bit, they seem like they were mounted to the manifold with a 1/2" spacer (none in the box, though).

One of my searches here yielded someone selling 1/2" phenolic spacers for Mikuni/Weber DCOE carbs so obviously it's not unique in the universe.

My questions is this: Other than just making the carbs fit the manifold, heat isolation and perhaps a bit of velocity in the venturi, any pros/cons in using a spacer setup vice a direct bolt-up manifold like a Cannon etc...?

Truthfully, I'd like not to drop $ on a manifold if it isn't going to matter on anything but a dyno. If the street feel is similar enough, then it's okay by me if I leave a few horses on the table.

Thanks!

R/

D

Hey Konish-

I still have a few of the spacers available, both 1/4" and 1/2" thick. I would need to double check how many that I have. They work great, I have them on my car now and use 40mm Mikuni carbs. I will sell them for 10.00 each if your interested and can ship to an APO. You can view them in my cardomain link here below.

Standard was Phenolic for heat transfer stoppage, second most popular was the anti-vibration isolators which utilized plastic of some type, and O-Rings.

I wouldn't mount them to the manifold directly with just a gasket. But that's just me.