HybridZ

temporary rust prevention

chopstic

I'm planning on getting some body work done while I'm off work, but I am not ready to finish it all the way through to a full paint job. What can I use to cheaply seal off bare metal areas for a good 6 months - 1 year time frame. I would go with a product like rust bullet, por-15, etc... , but I'm looking to go cheap now and then at a later point in time I'll strip the whole body and use a more expensive rust encapsulator.

Is it going to stay in a dry shed? Just use a rag dipped in cheap axle grease. Make a thin film of grease on the surface and keep it out of the weather. Easy to clean off with a good cleaner/degreaser when the time comes, and you're goign to degrease and prep all the surfaces before painting anyway right?

If you intend to leave the metal surface exposed, then i can think of three options.

1) Cheap one: Cover the area in veg oil, then use hot soapy water to clean later!

2) Expensive, anal-retentive option: Get a carcoon, which hermetically seals the car from atmosphere & throw in a box of those silica gel packs for good measure!

3) Permanent solution: Use a Zinc block as a sacrificial anode, connected to the cars chassis & body work! (replace the zinc block every several years)

:mrgreen:

thanx... I've never used OSPHO, so I think I'll give it a try. Do you think this will still protect well if I am daily driving my car? When I am ready to paint my car, is this stuff the only rust protection I need? Or should I put a coating of rust bullet or por-15 over the top of the OSPHO?