HybridZ

How far does the slave cyl move on a t5 transmisson?

FiveSeventyZee

My SBC 240z is having transmission/clutch issues. When I start the car its fine in neutral but when I go to shift it just grinds like the clutch isn't engaged all the way. The clutch fork doesn't move until a couple degrees into the clutch pedal's travel and it seems like it could still move a bit more if the pedal could physically go any lower.

I had my dad get behind the car and push me in A: neutral B: 2nd gear clutch as far down as it goes and C: 2nd gear with no clutch engagement.

Obviously my A test moved fine and the C test didn't go anywhere but those were meant to be baselines. He said it felt hard to push when I had the clutch pushed down all the way. This seemed to confirm my previous suspicion that the slave cylinder doesn't have the full travel that it's supposed to.

Can anyone tell me what the throw on the stock t5 slave cylinder is? or the stock 240z slave? I'm not sure if the PO used the Chevy slave or the Datsun slave. Or if theres something else that might be the problem, please tell me.

Thanks

If the motor is a sbc then the tranny is likely a GM T5 and slave also a GM unit. But if you take a picture of it and post it we can tell you what you have. With the GM T5/slave you need to use a 7/8" master to get enough slave travel. Some people have gotten away with a 3/4" but most (like myself) have had to swap up to the 7/8". This is a common issue as older editions of the JTR manual said to use the 3/4" master.

I checked the slave out and I discovered that the pushrod has been replaced by a bolt with a nut welded on the end. Even if I have the wrong bore master I'm gonna replace that first so I can get a good master for the slave I have.

Which brings me to the next thing, which is that I don't know which slave to buy. Summit has Willwood and Howe pull type slaves with identical (or atleast close, I can't remember) specs but the Willwood is $74 and the Howe is $48. Has anyone ever used Howe Racing products? I've never heard of them and I don't know if I should just spend the extra $26 for the Willwood.