HybridZ

Electric Lock on 280Z

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

I'm curious how hard it would be to install an electic lock system in a 280Z (1977). I was thinking it may be possible to use the lock system from a 280ZX, but I really have no idea how to do such an operation. I am interested in setting a 280Z up with a remote keyless entry system.

Thanks.

Yes they do. Not like new modern cars, but yes power door locks. It's a driver side locking device that controls both doors. Push the lever and it locks and unlocks both doors. Shoot, You can even add a remote door locks for $25.00 from any alarm place. It's one of the best gift I received a couple of years ago when my alarm system was installed. Remote controlled car locks :D

If you can figure a way to do this swap for your 77 by using the ZX's that would be great smile.gif

Donna

Guest Anonymous

go to your local car audio place and get a power door lock kit...... it will have everything you need to convert your z to power locks. using the kit will be way less headache than tring to adapt zx actuators to a 1st gen z. besides the kits should cost you less than 100 bucks.

nic

• Like 1

Guest EnthuZiast

Great, thanks a bunch, guys. One other thing; how about a remote starter? The only ones that I can find are for automatic cars, and that is not acceptable. Any suggestions?

maybe you might not want to use a remote starter. You may leave your car in gear overnight, and when you click start in your bedroom when you are getting ready for work on a cold morning, your car will go right through your house. LOL there is a reason you cant find them for manual transmission cars. :D

I've gotta agree with David. I can't count the number of times I've bent over, pinched the remote in my pocket, and locked/unlocked my car by accident, and it would be just as easy to accidentally start a car.

It's a cool concept, but it's too easy to hurt someone with it if something goes wrong.

Well honestly I never keep a manual car in gear overnight... just habbit (good or bad) and I have a friend that has bypassed the clutch switch and used an remote start on a manual car but they really onlye work well on EFI to TBI engines.

Guest 240hybrid

I'm just curious since you guys are talking about remote doorlocks and start ups. If you leave your lights on or something and kill the battery what the hell do you do to get into your car if you cant unlock them with the remote. This only relates if you did away with the manual keyholes like I've seen on some peoples cars. Is there some kind of back up battery or seperate system that works the remote locks?? Just curious

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

I'm just curious since you guys are talking about remote doorlocks and start ups. If you leave your lights on or something and kill the battery what the hell do you do to get into your car if you cant unlock them with the remote.

Okay, here's the poop.

If your battery goes dead and you were shortsighted enough to fill in your keyholes (it don't look so cool NOW, does it???) you can supply enough power to unlock your car by unscrewing the turn signal lights and hooking up a battery charger to the positive lead, and grounding the negative terminal to the bumper. This will work on all cars that activate their lights by switching to ground.

Most of the smarter people that I have seen have hidden a small cable to release the door on a shaved handle vehicle (in case of battery failure). I have also seen magnetic release switches before with thier own battery backup. A person I knew a few years ago, her Dad had a really nice hot rod with this magnetic release mechanism. Just waved a magnet in the correct "hidden" spot, and viola! The door opened. They hid the magnet release thing under the running boards. VERY trick setup.

!M!

Originally posted by EnthuZiast:

So, how hard is it to install a remote starter and keyless entry system?

It shouldn't be hard, since there's plenty of room in the doors. Systems which don't use external switches would be easiest - they take the signal from the lock motor itself. Pull up one knob, and everything unlocks.

I'll let you know for sure on Monday. My project this weekend is to graft a BMW locking system into my Z. Wish me luck!

Guest 240hybrid

Thats neat, I've never heard of taking off signal light and hookin into it to power up battery before. That idea with the hidden cable is also useful. I dont plan on installing remote locks or start up, just another electronic I dont need to mess with. Old fashioned locks and start up work fine everytime for me. that useful info. if Ever did install or know someone doing that project. 2thumbs.gif