HybridZ

5speed tranny swap questions

Guest ZDreamin

Guest ZDreamin

i was considering the purchase of a 5 speed for my z, to get a little better mpg's out of it, right now i have a 76 with a 4 speed and have the ability to get a 78 5speed for a fair price, my question is how hard is it to change trannies without taking out the motor, will i need any additional things or is it just a straight forward swap, ie using all my current stuff. finnally im under the impression that the 78 tranny has the same gear ratios as mine with an added overdrive, is that correvt?

thanks

sean

You do not have to remove the engine. It is very simple to remove the transmissions from these cars, and they are also very light. Yes, I believe you are correct about the transmission ratios.

Danny

DRK is correct, it is an easy swap from your 4 speed to the 78 5 speed. There are two different 4 speeds, however. The early trans has a 3.5 first gear and the later has a 3.3 which is the same as the early 5 speed. I have always heard the way to know which one you have is that in years where 5 speed was an option the 4 speed had the 3.3 first. 240's and 260's had the 3.5 first, so I'm not sure on your 76 as I think 5 speeds were first option in 77? The overdrive will be worth the swap IMO, however. I have a late 5 speed in my 240 and it makes the car a LOT more driveable on the freeways.

Guest Anonymous

When obtainng the 5 speed,get the throw out bearing too since this part part can have variances between different transmissions and clutch applications. Check eric Neyerlin's site for this web page Mike is correct the 5 speeds came out in mass in 1977. I have found that in the Datsun line of vehicles that 5 speed equipped engines last longer especially in the L4's. An L4 transmission is basically the same set up with a lower second gear for the pickups and is a bolt in.

Guest Anonymous

be careful to use the correct throw-out bearing sleeve.Which sleeve you use depends on which clutch cover you use.Your best bet is to use the same one you're using right now.