HybridZ

auto 350 q's..help?

ok this may seem a dumb question but I can get a feree rebuilt 350 and turbo 350 transmission from my dad and I jsut bought an auto 81 2+2 s130 with v8 mounts in it.

Now what I want to know is an auto v8 Z fun to drive? I am a stick guy and not an auto by any means but.....it is tempting seeing as how i could DD my 83 na zx and then play with this other one but it is a 2+2 so its heavier as well =(......

Im just not sure what to do, build the 350 and go efi + a manual trans(which this will happen over time) or go stock 350 and use an auto.

I love to cruise the hill country and would love to have a car I could go to drift or auto cross stuff with and maybe the 1/4 although it is way too hard on a car for only 13 seconds worth of fun imo.

any help or suggestions would be great! thanks! (O and the swap wont be a problem cause I have a friend who is going to teach me how to do everything he is a professor at a local college and knows how to do everything).

a th350 has a 1:1 top gear. this will make the engine rev fairly high going down the freeway. your 81 should have a 3.54 gear (since it has a factory auto trans), so that isn't as bad as a 3.90 gear. but still. lots of revs.

installing a 350 trans would be the easiest. but a T5 from a V8 camaro would be better. not a V6 camaro!

performance depends on the engine build. a stock smogger 350 can have as little as 150hp. Don't expect too much power out of a stock mid 70's to 80's 350. For example, a stock 73 vette engine only had 190hp which is about what a stock 81 Z had at the crank.

However, add a little bigger cam to a 350, a little more compression, better heads, better intake and exhaust, and 350hp can be made even while retaining a fairly smooth idle.

A v8 conversion is a tough job. Lots of little projects. it will cost at least twice as much as you think in both time and money.

yea thats what I was thinking, i have the mounts in the auto already =D, and the engine is free. plus everything custom done will be semi free(no labor fees) and I work at a shop. i think what i will do is take the 350 and mod it while finding a manual transmission and then eventually drop it into the manual zx I own. So i will jsut be parting out the auto shell.

Thanks for the Help!

well, not just the auto mounts. it is also the clutch set that will be tough. need a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, and new hydro line. plus the cost of the clutch and the labor to put in a clutch pedal assembly.

the hard part is to get everything in place and working correctly. modifying the 350 is the easy part. I say, drop in the stock setup then mod the 350 later. just don't expect too much power.

yea I have a manual 280zx so I wont need all of that. I also work at a shop so yes I still have to put some money out but my cost is tons cheaper than over the counter ;). Also with the money I can get from parting out my auto I can have most of the money for the swap I want =D (or paint lol).

Also the tuning program will be a GM one; my friend is a professor at a local college with hookups on that software and everything you need for it. He did an LT1 swap in a zx a year ago with a student of his so he is familiar with everything.