HybridZ

LC-1 Controller issues

FlatBlack

I bought my LC-1 Wideband second hand from my friend Mat, I think he bought it new and used it for about 5 miles, so this is not an old unit.

The wideband was working fine until I around October this year. I was datalogging up to my parent's house on the interstate, and while I was driving, my wideband settled on 16 to 17 AFR.

I pulled over immediately and checked the wiring, nothing was loose or disconnected.

I pulled the fuel up so far at idle the car almost died and the AFRs did not change a bit in MegaTune.

I have my 12V+ going to switched 12 Volts for Megasquirt, I have the Brown Analogue Out 2 connected to the O2 spot on the MS Relay Board.

I have all of the other wires going to the same chassis ground that MS uses. I have the Brown Analogue Out 2 connected to the O2 spot on the MS Relay Board.

Gave up on the wideband for a couple of months due to a large course load at school. I bought a new LSU-4 sensor [calibrated it outside the pipe] and it didn't change the problem a bit.

Chris and I were working on it last night and couldn't fix it. We checked all of the regular settings, and reflashed the controller with 1.00a which was on the controller.

It was reading a constant high 13.X last night, with slight dips down, nothing past 13.0.

Anyone have any input on this? I would assume my controller is bad, but maybe it's something that fixable?

*edit* I just called innovate about it,they told me to send it in to them after hearing the issue, they said it should most likely be fixed with no cost.

Checking your AFR in megatune or even logworks provided by innovate sounds like a good idea to start. I had constant reset issues with my MSII/ LC-1/xd_16 combo. It seemed that the unit would lose calibration and then give me odd numbers similar to what you might be seeing.

It turns out the there are production batches of LC-1's out there that have issues and were replaced by Innovate free of charge. They didn't immediately offer this to me but after several emails with Klaus and Felipe the unit was replaced. Their tech forum has tons of great info and I found some people had oscillation issues at idle that were solved using capacitors. I used to operate closed loop to solve a warm restart issue that has since been corrected by using an IAT correction

BTW, I have not had one reset with the replaced unit and it's been at least a year and a half. Chuck

edit: I see that they are taking it back. I'll leave my info for future searches

Yeah I felt like people should know that they aren't 100% screwed if their unit goes bad.

I was using it for several months and it read fine, I was using it to tune my fuel tables with the VE Analyzer. I haven't really tuned the car at all since October when it went out.

I've heard the Innovate forums do have quite a bit of information on them as well.

So... when I get back from my Holiday travels I will be sending it in.

• 4 months later...

Got a brand new LC-1 controller from Innovate. Everything was free and I had bought the unit second hand. Top notch customer service!

My brand new, assembled-by-DIYAT relay board was giving me issues. IAT then CLT sensors dropped off and the car wouldn't start. I made a secondary harness and bypassed the relay board, and they worked again. Wideband was also reading properly in MegaSquirt. I switched back to the old ECU>RB harness and bypassed the relay board again for CLT IAT and WB by splicing into the wires. This worked for CLT and IAT but not WB.

New plan is to jumper to the ECU pin that is the WB input, feed it through the proto area on my V3.57 board, and wire it directly to the controller. Hopefully that will work. I'm having fueling issues and it's incredibly frustrating trying to diagnose them without the use of my WB02 controller :angry:

I'm looking over the V3 and V3.57 schematics right now but if anyone knows where to input the WB02 off the top of their head that would be nice :)

It comes into the ECU on Pin 23

"Oxygen Sensor - 1 - 23"

Ah found it. LC-1 output wire >>> Pin 23 >>> O2 >>> AD5-1 >>> PTB5/AD5 [Prom pin 28]

v3pcb_1.gif

Edited by flatblack280

I don't have a terminator so I can't hook it up to LogWorks :embarassed:

We hooked up my sensor to a LM-1 and it worked fine.

LC-1's require free air calibration every few months, or so the manual says. I've had mine forget it's calibration if the car/MS reset quickly in succession.

LC-1's require free air calibration every few months, or so the manual says. I've had mine forget it's calibration if the car/MS reset quickly in succession.

The LM-1 was reading the sensor perfectly.

Ordered the terminator for my LC-1. I also ordered an aux out for an LM-1, my buddy has a LM-1 controller that I will buy if I can't figure out the damn LC-1 controller.

Edited by flatblack280

• 3 weeks later...

Needing some help here, I'm baffled.

Did another free air calibration on the LC-1, and it still wasn't reading AFRs properly.

Got the LM-1 installed in the car, and the AFRs are reading fine on the LCD display on the controller, but MegaSquirt read it going from 12.0-12.5 AFRs, bouncing in between that.

I did some WOT pulls, and the LM-1 read 13.0s down to high 10.0s, but MegaSquirt still read 12.0-12.5

I tried all of the 0.5V AFR settings in the configurator, nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think this is a megasquirt issue. Maybe something is wrong with the wiring or ECU itself?

Needing some help here, I'm baffled.

Did another free air calibration on the LC-1, and it still wasn't reading AFRs properly.

Got the LM-1 installed in the car, and the AFRs are reading fine on the LCD display on the controller, but MegaSquirt read it going from 12.0-12.5 AFRs, bouncing in between that.

I did some WOT pulls, and the LM-1 read 13.0s down to high 10.0s, but MegaSquirt still read 12.0-12.5

I tried all of the 0.5V AFR settings in the configurator, nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think this is a megasquirt issue. Maybe something is wrong with the wiring or ECU itself?

Hey where is your O-2 mounted ? I had a problem with mine because it was mounted to close to the turbo and Innovative told me it had to be at least 24 inches from the back of the turbo or it would get to hot & burn out.

Hey where is your O-2 mounted ? I had a problem with mine because it was mounted to close to the turbo and Innovative told me it had to be at least 24 inches from the back of the turbo or it would get to hot & burn out.

The sensor is at the end of my MSA 2.5" Downpipe. More than 24" away from the turbo.

The LM-1 LCD display is reading the AFRs correctly. There is either a discrepancy in my analogue output or with my wiring in MegaSquirt.

I'll be doing some test tonight with a voltmeter using the LM-1 controller.

I think Moby is on the right track. The LC-1 has two outputs, each of which is programmable for the range of output voltage. I can't tell from this thread if you've checked them, but it sure sounds like the LC-1 output is not matched to what MS is expecting.

BTW, you should also reload the AFR table in case it became corrupted - Tools\Calibrate AFR Table in TunerStudio (not sure what it's called in MegaTune).

I toyed around with the LM-1 a bit before this weekend. I got a voltmeter out and the LM-1 was outputing 1-2V, which I traced from the analogue output all the way to the ECU chip's AD-5 port for the O2 sensor.

With Tuner Studio reading 1-2Vs, the AFRs nearly matched what the LCD screen was saying, but the signal is really messed up. It is jumping around when the LM-1 is reading a constant AFR.

Let's say the LM-1 screen sees 12.2 AFR, it wouldn't move more than 1 or 2 tenths, but Tuner Studio was reading almost a full point on either side of the 'actual' value. So it would bounce around from 11-13 AFR on the TS 'gauge.'

My battery voltage didn't look bad, I don't think that's the issue. I also traced the signal at idle from the analogue wire output all the way through the ECU as stated above, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I'll do some more work on it this week.

BTW, you should also reload the AFR table in case it became corrupted - Tools\Calibrate AFR Table in TunerStudio (not sure what it's called in MegaTune).

I'm not running AFR correction, is that what you are talking about?

Edited by flatblack280

Loading the AFR tables is required regardless if you are running O2 correction. MS needs to know how the incoming voltage correlates to the measured AFR and does this with a lookup table.

With the ignition (and MS) on but the engine OFF, go to the Tools menu and select Calibrate AFR Table and then choose your controller and the configuration that matches how you have yours set up.

I'm guessing that your table is corrupted. Normally you only need to reload the table when you do a firmware upgrade. The table is not stored in the MSQ file, at least not yet - I think Phil is going to add it eventually. A few times after a firmware upgrade I've forgotten to reload it and I've experienced the same symptoms.