HybridZ

83 280ZX Dist & Alt Wiring ??

A wiring wizard I'm not! I'm at the wiring phase of my SBC conversion and haven't a clue-bag on what-goes-where on the distributor tach and batt sides and the Alternator wiring. JTR didn't help.. Anyone out there who can give me a quick tutorial? Thanx

Dan

What year car? My 72's wiring matched the JTR book to a T and while it took me awhile to realize that some of th ewiring was on the DRIVER'S side in the end it was exactly the way the book said to do it. It varies year to year as to wiring color so we really need to know the year... icon_rolleyes.gif

For the alternator I have that one BIG white wire going to my alternator. Tach wire to the tach terminal and I don't recall from where my 'batt' positive wire comes from that goes to my 'batt' on my HEI. Just a + wire that's on with ignition turned to 'on' I"m sure. It was spliced into the oil psi switch JTR discusses and taken to a side/small post on my Ford solenoid as well so I get fuel while cranking before oil pressure is present. (ie. relay is on when either I"m cranking (from solenoid) or oil psi is up (running)).

any more q's feel free at 280zx@home.com like Mike mentioned, sometimes I'm here a lot and other times it's a day or so till I have some time so might miss your q's.

Ross:

Thanks for the reply. Guess I failed to impress just how much of a block-of-wood I am when it comes to wiring. Think my problem is too many extraneous wires. I have 2 BIG white wires (one with a blue wire with it, and several wires for the dist (brown & Blue). Maybe I'm making this just too complicated, but at this point I'm about ready to find a local elec guy to get it hooked-up and put me out of my misery. Any more suggestions?

Thanx

Dan