HybridZ

Legal engine swap?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys.

I've been wondering if it's legal to swap a Ford 302 into my '90 Infiniti Q45. The motor would be a from a '93 Stang so it is newer than the car. I live in Mass and I'm kinda in the dark about the rules and regulations on engine swaps here.

As far as i know to make an engine swap legal, the basics would be as follows.

1- you have to get an engine the same year or newer. Meaning 90 and above not 89 and below.

2- you have to transfer all the emmissions from the other donor to the car you're putting it into.

3- follow whatever local state regulation you have.

Its a little different for each state.

There maybe more but this is just the few basic stuff i know of. burnout.gif

So you fragged the Q45 V8, eh? I was waiting for someone to do that to theirs. I imagine replacing it is too costly, which is why I just don't flog mine very hard at all. If the motor dies, I'll donate the car to charity before I replace it.

Anyway, your Air Resources Board in your state can supply you with proper info. I know MA is very close to CA in terms of smog nazi, er, I mean regulations. The new motor being the same year as the car or newer (you have that covered) and the emissions equipment intact. You may be able to run the Q45 exhaust system (cheapest way to go) but I would think it may be restrictive. You might be able to get away with having a new exhaust system made for your car and use bigger cats for better flow. I would think the same rules for cat-back exhausts apply in that you can do just about anything after the catalytic converter.

Just make sure that the specs for the fuel system can handle the new motor you are installing. Just a thought.

Davy

I dont know the laws in MA, but in CA you have to carry over ALL smog equipment, and you cannot backdate at all, if you have a 95 car you can't put an 82 engine, etc

Once completed you must have the car certified, dont know the cost in this, but it can be done.