HybridZ

door does not lock? or latch closed..

I've never encountered this problem. Maybe the latch on the door isn't closig all the way after it latches to the striker?. In that case I'd say try oiling the locking latch on your door and see if that helps at all. The only thing I can think thts happening is that when the door hits the striker, there's dirt or grease or something addin resistance to the lock when it tries to return to the latched position.

I had this problem with mine the inside of the door where the mechanism was, was corroded. All I had to do was clean it up and it was fine. You should be able to check this by looking at the mechancism while the door is open and see if it moves at all when you lift the door handle (I think this is correct if I am wrong please correct me).

well late last night i was cleaning and spraying lube on a few of the moving parts, but i wasn't able to finish up. so far still no luck in getting the door to stay closed. it does seem like the latch mechanism is stuck in the open position and not latching completely closed after shutting the door. if you just push on the door gently from the inside it doesnt open, but if you put all your weight on it, it opens. same from the outside, if i dont use the door handle and just pull on the door with the window down..same result. i'll investigate more after work, thanks for all the help and keep the suggestions coming :o

also i dont think the mechanism is doing anything when i pull the handle. i hear a noise of the arms inside the door moving, but i dont believe the circle latch on the outside moves. i did not try this however after removing the door panel...is the circle latch on the outside of the door supposed to move when you pull the door handle?

The round barrel thingy on the outside of the door is supposed to rotate into place in the "G-shaped" catch in the doorjamb. You need to rotate the barrel with a screwdriver while liberally applying your favorite penetrating lube/cleaner, and then OIL the mechanism thoroughly. You should also make sure the door is lined up at least OK with the other body panels, and try your best to eyeball the alignment of the barrel/catch plate.

There are two positions to the barrel; there is a good chance your barrel is stuck on only the first. I would recommend taking the door panel off so you can get a good visual on all of the mechanism and see if there are any loose tolerances you could tighten up. If nothing else, it would help you get a grasp on how it all goes together.

But I want to go back and add emphasis to using oil as a lubricant here: I put a door from a 72 or 73 240 onto the passenger side of my 75 280Z and drove it for two years, always having to show people exactly how to finesse the door ALL the way shut. I just pushed downwards a little in the right place while I shut with moderate force and it worked 98% of the time. All this time, I was under the impression I *had* used actual motor oil (or similar) on the thing. One day, on a lark, I had a tube of oil and decided to hit the latch. This was after the car was sidelined. To this day (4-5 years later) that door closes and sounds like brand new. It LEAPS into position at the lightest finger-force slam, and I haven't touched it since. Cha-KUNK!!!

over the weekend i managed enough time to take both doors apart. i cleaned and lubed the lock mechanism and sure enough it was just rusted stuck on both doors into one position where it would not budge. now the doors open and close well and LOCK. however..i lost the clip at the back of the lock cylinder that holds the arm for the locking mechanism. asdkoakdl;ask!!!!! it fell inside the door when i popped it off and seemed to magically dissapear. i was going to try to go to a few hardware stores to see if i could find one like it. anyone have knowledge of where this kind of clip is sold?