HybridZ

Nissan 5 speed Trash or Treasure?

Eddie-G-Force

Okay I'm not doing so good on my "240 to Maxton" march :-|. I picked up a extra 71z for parts and the owner threw this tranny in the deal. I've search threads for an hour but I didn't find a transmission decoder (maybe with pictures). Is this from a early comp. Z or a truck? Shifter is from my 72 4 speed appears to fit properly. Is there a mod. to remove the flange to use my 72 driveshaft? Thanks Ed G.

Right side 5 spd_thumb.jpg

left side 5 spd_thumb.jpg

bottom vu 5 spd_thumb.jpg

5-speed cast no_thumb.jpg

The case looks like a Nissan FS5, But the bell housing and tail shaft aren't right for a Z. Probably came out of a pickup, send it along to the scrapyard IMO. There are some threads about putting a N/A 280ZX 5 speeds in 240's just gota search some.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot get your thumbnails to open, but this looks like an early style comp gearbox. Steel synchros and very durable. There ought to be a code stamped by the release fork hole, I suppose that is your 4th picture, that tells at least what ratios it originally had in there. Something like N3130 [OD 5th and close ratio 3.32 first] for example. It requires a special drive shaft, very like a Roadster, as the output shaft is different. Close gears work on race tracks and with peaky engines but are not much use on street cars. More Treasure than Trash IF you have any need for such a thing.