HybridZ

280ZXT CAS slot configuration?

wheelman

Forgvie me if this has been discussed but I couldn't find the info. I'm looking for.

I'm in the process of installing an MS-II unit into a 240SX (KA24DE) which uses a CAS distributor that's very similar to the one found in the 280ZXT. I'm also working in cooperation with a fellow in Germany who is implementing support for the Nissan CAS wheels.

Nissan wheels generally have 2 sets of slots. One set has the same number of slots as cylinders in the engine it's meant to support, the other has 360 slots.

It turns out the 4 slots in the 240SX dist. are not all the same length and they can be measured in relation to the 360 slots. When you do this you get an 8-2-2-2 pattern. Slot one is 8 of the 360 wide while the others are 2 wide.

The early RB30E distributor has a similar pattern, 8-2-2-2-2-2.

The guy implementing the Nissan wheel support would like to know if the 280ZXT CAS is the same as the RB30E. If so the new code would make using MS-II with an L28ET much easier and more reliable.

Is anyone who has a 280ZXT CAS distributor willing to examine the wheel and tell us if it has the 8-2-2-2-2-2 pattern?

Here is a link to the thread discussing the new code:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=30254

Thanks!!!

Forgvie me if this has been discussed but I couldn't find the info. I'm looking for.

I'm in the process of installing an MS-II unit into a 240SX (KA24DE) which uses a CAS distributor that's very similar to the one found in the 280ZXT. I'm also working in cooperation with a fellow in Germany who is implementing support for the Nissan CAS wheels.

Nissan wheels generally have 2 sets of slots. One set has the same number of slots as cylinders in the engine it's meant to support, the other has 360 slots.

It turns out the 4 slots in the 240SX dist. are not all the same length and they can be measured in relation to the 360 slots. When you do this you get an 8-2-2-2 pattern. Slot one is 8 of the 360 wide while the others are 2 wide.

The early RB30E distributor has a similar pattern, 8-2-2-2-2-2.

The guy implementing the Nissan wheel support would like to know if the 280ZXT CAS is the same as the RB30E. If so the new code would make using MS-II with an L28ET much easier and more reliable.

Is anyone who has a 280ZXT CAS distributor willing to examine the wheel and tell us if it has the 8-2-2-2-2-2 pattern?

Thanks!!!

Nope. It has 6 uniform width slots. Refer to the second picture in this link: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132982

Those of us running the Wolf V500 drill a synch hole next to one of the slots to identify that slot as #1.

How are you americans getting your hands on our RB30E wheels?

Just kidding, good luck with the work. I put the RB30 wheel into my L283ET distributor so I could get a cylinder 1 signal.

If you can get the RB30 program to work, then you could just get people to elongate the cyl 1 hole (like what RTz did, but instead of running a second hole, just drill the hole to connect to the existing slot).

How are you americans getting your hands on our RB30E wheels?

Just kidding, good luck with the work. I put the RB30 wheel into my L283ET distributor so I could get a cylinder 1 signal.

If you can get the RB30 program to work, then you could just get people to elongate the cyl 1 hole (like what RTz did, but instead of running a second hole, just drill the hole to connect to the existing slot).

The guy in Germany is doing the actual coding, I'm just testing it on my KA24DE. He brought up the question regarding the L28ET CAS wheel and if it was similar to the RB30E wheel.

It may be possible to elongate the hole as you suggest but the software would have to be flexible enough to allow for a primary slot that isn't exactly 8 of the hi-res slots long. I know it's possible to do this in the code but it would need to be tested before being released to the wild.

Anyone willing to either donate an L28ET CAS wheel/distributor for modification or do the testing themselves?

Psssst... More to engine management than MS, me thinks. Don't tell anyone :mrgreen:

I know Ron, I just thought someone doing an MS install would have documented the CAS wheel setup and didn't even think about other EMSs.

Edit: The guys implementing the wheel decoder have requested pictures of the various Nissan CAS wheels showing the slots with an indication of rotation direction. Please post them here and I'll forward them on. Be sure to indicate the direction of rotation and the engine the CAS is from.

The code will go into the MS2 and the upcoming MS3.