HybridZ

Replacing Stock airfilter assembly

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Bare with me, Im at work and dont have pics of my car so im using pics off hybridZ :)

OK, So I recently took my my giant orange boat of an air filter ass seen here:

enginenew.jpg

And replaced it with some pretty K&N ones

large114010.jpg

My question is what do I need to do with these hoses comming off the Carbs? Theres no where for them to go now...

enginenew2.jpg

I know you've just bought those nice little round filters but I would have rather seen you buy a good K&N replacement filter for the orange thing.

Your engine looked quite stock? And replacing your air box will give you negligable power increases. You now have the added headache of deciding where all the hoses will go (and what engine functions will/won't work in the process).

Do you still have the receipt?......exchange them for the abovementioned filter and be glad you made the right decision. :)

The two hoses coming off the carb float bowls are vents. They will also spew fuel if your needle sticks. Buy longer hose and route them down so they will not throw fuel onto the exhaust manifold.

Also, you're most likely making a little bit less power by switching to those K&N filters. Making that switch eliminates the stock air horns (inside the orange air filter) which are some benefit to the SUs. There are a couple threads here that discuss this.

John's right about the horns. You could purchase some low profile horns and mount these inside your filters to partially compensate though. Those vent hoses will need to go down to a point below the framerail. They can be Tee'd together. You could even use steel fuel line for the down tube. Keep these well away from the exhaust! The other option is fittings in the backside of your filter housings, however, if a needle sticks the fuel will pour out the element onto the exhaust and.....flame on. Having a car burn due to a fuel leak really sucks...been there.

No worries abour the air horns...

I cut the ones off the stock filter assembly, cleaned em up, painted, and mounted them inside the K&Ns. Works like a charm. My only thing left to do is reroute the carb hoses.

That was my main concern, as I wasnt sure what they were for.

My SUs have been rebuild in the last 5 years, so Im not OVERLY concerned about a needle sticking, but better safe than sorry AMIRITE?