HybridZ

Major CARBON BUILD UP

MyLaDyZ

Hi im about to drop a L28e into my 240

But i decide to pull the intake main and exhaust main off, for header and a new gasket.

When i looked into the intake mainfold it was bad REAL BAD 30 years worth of carbon build up straight up GUNK

i tried carb cleaner, purple power with a little brush to get in there to scrub it out but nothing is working.

What should i use to clean it out?

Pressure washers will take the paint right off of most surfaces (ask me how I know). If that's not going to be a big deal, you can try, but it's going to be time consuming and just plain not as good.

Hot tanking is great, but if it's just not happening, I recommend the following:

226.jpg + toothbrush_270x259.jpg

The choice of champions.:)

Happy cleaning!

Pressure washers will take the paint right off of most surfaces (ask me how I know). If that's not going to be a big deal, you can try, but it's going to be time consuming and just plain not as good.

Hot tanking is great, but if it's just not happening, I recommend the following:

226.jpg + toothbrush_270x259.jpg

The choice of champions.:)

Happy cleaning!

Some good electric tooth brushes?:eek:

have you really done this or you just messing with me

Haha, oops! I didn't notice they were electric! :P

My bad. I've never used an electric one. I just use the cheap Rite Aid ones. But now that I mention it... Maybe something to try?

I wonder what a Sonicare would do or how one of the other ultrasonic tooth brushes would do.:)

Small steel brush and some good cleaner. I'm not sure how intense this carbon buildup is, but a little steel bristled brush with a long handle can probably go a long way toward getting that gunk out of there. I really doubt a nylon bristled toothbrush is going to help much on this particular material.

Okay, I admit that you can clean up dirt and most good with a stiff bristled nylon brush. I cleaned the entire outside of a head with only a rounded flat bladed screwdriver, some engine degreaser and a nylon brush. If you're really on a budged it's amazing how creative you can get:) That stiff carbon buildup is a different beast though. I've removed carbon buildup from inside a combustion chamber by hand and even a steel bristled brush has a difficult time getting rid of that stuff.