HybridZ

rear view mirror guauge

Guest Anonymous

Guest Mr. Big Business

It looks like he held the camera up in front of the mirror, so that he'd capture the camera's reflection in the mirror. pretty cool, except now the writing on the camera is backwards.

Henry

(ps, I'm just being a wise-ass)

Something in the picture looks fishy - especially in the upper left hand region of the mirror, there are some pretty significant signs that this may have been photoshopped.

If it were to be done, however, it's not a difficult process to explain. Take apart the two ultrasonically welded pieces of the mirror housing, probably by band sawing it in half. Then you can make a window in the mirror by scraping the silvering off of the rear of the glass with an X-acto carving blade. The silvering comes off pretty easily and should come loose before the glass scratches, if you're careful. Then you can epoxy whatever you want to the back half of the case, so that it shows through the window.

Please note that this is MUCH easier said than done. I was going to put turn signal and high beam indicator lights in my rearview mirror, but decided that it was too much of a pain in the butt once I saw how it was assembled. I might still try, though. Seeing this picture has given me hope for success. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

it could be photocopped? I think im gonig to to try do the same thing. Just FYI paint striper dosent get the silver backing off and burns like hell on your skin

Scott

That was actually done. Just the way Scott described pretty much. I rememeber that from few years ago. I could be telling a story here but, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that is J.Taylors car. You know the orange turbo 240 with the sweet 18" rims. Anyone following me here?

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that is J.Taylors car. You know the orange turbo 240 with the sweet 18" rims. Anyone following me here?

As soon as you described it, I knew EXACTLY which car you were talking about. I don't know why, but that car makes me absolutely DROOL!

The car was Walker's car a few yrs ago but I have owned it ever since. It isn't photoshopped and was according to Walker was done just like was said above. It looks cool but isn't worth a **** ....never even look at it to tell you the truth. It is waaaay off from my EGT gauge.

JT

I saw a similar thing done with a radar detector in a car audio magazine about 15 years ago. They either used really bright LEDs without removing the silvering, or they used a two way mirror so that when the detector was off, it looked like a regular mirror.