HybridZ

MegaSquirt - MS-II for a 280ZXT into a 240Z ... parts list help

240zip

After much research, I've decided to go the MegaSquirt route with my 240Z turbo swap. If possible, I'd like to use as much of the stock 280ZX Turbo components as possible initially. I've compiled a list of what I need.

• MegaSquirt Wiring Bundle - 12' Long [LG-WireBund] - $40
  • MegaSquirt-I or II Relay Cable [MSRelayCable] - $70
  • MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3 - UnAssembled Kit [MS230-K] - $247
  • MegaSquirt Relay Board - UnAssembled Kit [MSRelay-K] - $64
  • MegaSquirt Stimulator v2.2 - UnAssembled Kit [MSStim22-K] - $45
  • USB to Serial Adapter - Works with MegaTune! [uSB-2920] - $20
  • MegaSquirt Stimulator / DIYPNP Power Supply [stimPower] - $7.50

This is what I've already assembled:

- 280Z Tach

- Complete 280ZX Turbo motor with ECU, AFM, and all sensors / wiring harness intact.

- Intercooler / pipes

- Downpipe

- T3/04E hybrid turbo

- Fuel pump

- Fuel pressure regulator

- MSD 6A

What am I missing?

- What about the O2 sensor items? It seems having a wide-band 02 sensor is the way to go. Which model do people recommend?

- Do people recommend just going with the generic GM temp sensors in lieu of the stock sensors? I was told there is a SW fix to recalibrate, but it seems using GM units is easiest.

- In terms of injectors, I know the stock ones are limiting - I'm looking at the Ford SVT's as an upgrade. I'd like to get the swap done and working prior to making a ton of mods. Is there anything special I need to use the stock injectors (i.e. adaptive resistors)?

- In terms of tuning SW, is anyone using Tuner Studio? I just saw screenshots of Megatune and Tuner Studio and the later seemed more polished visually.

Not trying to be an arse, but seriously you need to read this once or twice to fully understand getting it up and running.

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

It will tell you about the GM sensors and what Wideband sensors are compatible, low impedance injectors, etc.

Search "Tuner Studio" here to find out what people think about it.

Good luck.

A few things:

- TunerStudio has a steeper learning curve, but is so much more powerful thank Megatune. Since you're starting from scratch, I'd go with TS. FYI, MT is pretty much at the end of its life - the developer is putting all his efforts into TS.

- I'd recommend using MSII/Extra code. FYI, some of the features in the current beta release are only supported on Tunerstudio and not on Megatune.

- Most people use an Innovative LC-1 wideband O2 sensor. I'd be really nervous about tuning a turbo with a narrow band.

- I run the Ford 440cc injectors from the Mustang 5.0 with the stock fuel rail. You need to decide what type of injectors you will use upfront as you may have to machine the intake manifold to fit. There's a great sticky with details on a variety of injectors.

- If you use the stock fuel rail, you can also use the stock fuel pressure regulator.

- MS will support low impedance injectors without resistors. I had issues with the drivers overheating and shutting down during track use so added resistors to be safe.

- I'd recommend you go with the GM IAT sensor that isn't the same as the coolant one. It responds much faster to changes in temp which is an issue when the underhood temps rise and cause heatsoak.

Edit: you'll also find that the IAT rises as boost rises, even with an intercooler, and the coolant sensors won't react fast enough.

- You'll need to swap to a FI fuel tank, or add a surge tank. I went with the latter and added a larger fuel return line from the engine compartment back to the surge tank.

Like Mat was saying, there's a lot for you to read up on as each of these topics has more than one way to go with corresponding pros and cons.

Good luck!

I'll agree with Daniel but I really haven't used Tuner Studio much. I initially used MegaTune to setup my settings, but I've heard much better things about TS.

Also, MegaTune will lock up my Compaq Presario laptop every time I datalog with the computer in the car. I can save it and everything, it just won't let me close the program afterwords, which is really annoying.

Search > Advanced Search > MegaSquirt Forum > "Tuner Studio" got me this :P

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154300&highlight=tuner+studio

The 'extra code' reference is to the firmware version - correct?

Yes, there is the "standard" MSII firmware, and then there is the Extra version. If you like a lot of features and are willing to play around with them, Extra is the way to go. If you just want to get it to work, the standard code is ok. Keep in mind that moving from standard to Extra will involve retuning, so if you think you'll want Extra, start with it.

Side note: I'm on Extra and your setup appears to be similar to mine (except for the cam) so you could start with my MSQ file as a baseline to get up the curve faster.

Yes, there is the "standard" MSII firmware, and then there is the Extra version. If you like a lot of features and are willing to play around with them, Extra is the way to go. If you just want to get it to work, the standard code is ok. Keep in mind that moving from standard to Extra will involve retuning, so if you think you'll want Extra, start with it.

Would be good to note that Standard is only 12x12 tables whereas MSnSE is 16x16.

I would recommend checking out MSefi.com and MSextra.com to learn more of the differences. Once again there is a ton of information to cover before you even get started.

For me, I started with the standard code and megatune (I only needed basic fuel at the time),

I had no one to help except a few forums, and to be honest, it was a huge learning curve, as I have never done this type of thing before.

I spent a lot of time on http://www.megamanual.com/index.html trying to figure out all the different settings, but using the Stim and megatune and the megamanual site, it made thing clearer, on how it worked together.

After a few months I moved to EDIS (spark), still using the basic code, again, another hunt on the forums, and the megamanual site for info on how it works and setting that needed to be changed.

Then I upgrade to a Turbo, at this point I knew what I was doing, and it was not hard to set this up.

Now, I'ved moved onto "Extra", I was looking for the larger fuel table 16*16, spark is still 12*12. (fuel cut is a nice feature on decel) I spent a lot of time again on the forums, and www.msextra.com, trying to figure out all the new options and setting, still running megatune though.

At some point I will have a look at tunner stuido.

One thing that made life easier, is a wideband and a laptop to log your pulls, so you can do your tuning 'on the road'

Nigel