HybridZ

i searched and still have a couple Qs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, i searched through the site for "smog exempt" laws and such. now, i know off the top of my head, that CA has the 30 year deal where if the car is 30 years or older, it's smog exempt. so that would meanthe '74 should be under that (since they go off of the year that the car was manufactured, meaning in '73, right?).

BUT, as i was reading through the threads that i searched for, people were saying that CAP was doing away with the 30 year deal. is that correct? or did it not go through? i understand that if you have a smog exempt car, you still must have ALL smog parts like the cats, EGR, etc., and that's no problem because i was planning on swapping in an LT1, anyways. and you must have that engine swap inspected by a referee, one time, and you'll receive a certificate that the swap and everything is legal. but you still may get pulled in for a smog check, if an officer orders you too.

so, my question is, did they do away with the 30 year plan, or no? because the last thread about this was last year, so i'm not sure of the updates. sorry to bring this back up.

thanks.

Guest Anonymous

oh, i just thought of another question.

if i were to get a non-smog exempt Z car, like a '76 or something like that. and if i still wanted to swap in a LT1, could i still do the one time inspection by a referee and have all smog parts on there and still smog it every two years, and run it like that?

Guest greimann

The 30 model year inspection exemption is the current law. The way they calculate it is you subtract 29 from the current year. 2003 - 29 = 1974 year and older are exempt from the bi-annual inspection. They are not exempt from the requirement to have smog equipment installed, but if they don't inspect, then how do they know? That is the gamble that most are willing to take. One correction to your statement is that it is model year of the car, not the date of manufacture.

You can go the legal route by installing all the parts from the LT1 into a '76 and having it certified. You then go to the regular inspection every two years. Here are a couple of links.

CA Smog FAQ

My Smog Cert

Guest Anonymous

SWEET! so the 30 year plan is still going and in effect?! 2thumbs.gif

and if i got a non-smog exempt car, i could still do the whole inspection deal and get it smogged bi-annually. well, i've got some options now. because there's a '74 260Z w/dual carbs, blah, blah, and it's not going to pass smog, at all that i can get for $100. but there's a few things like no AC, no heater core, no front or rear bumpers, no battery, but it runs fine from what i'm told (it's a friend of ours). there also might be some fees that have to get paid when changing titles, i'll have to look into that.

or a '76 or '78, not sure, Z car for $500, and that can pass smog. and i think everything is still good on that one (again, from a friend of ours). which would you guys go for?

Originally posted by esyip:

if i were to get a non-smog exempt Z car, like a '76 or something like that. and if i still wanted to swap in a LT1, could i still do the one time inspection by a referee and have all smog parts on there and still smog it every two years, and run it like that?

Follow the posted links, but basically you'd just have to carry over ALL smog equipment from the donor vehicle, charcoal canister etc

Guest Anonymous

^^^^ my sentiments exactly. but i won't even be able to do the LT1 swap for a few years. so if i got a legal car now by the time i'm ready to do the swap, it'll be smog exempt, and hopefully CA keeps the 30 year plan continuous.

Although some may disagree with me, I would love to do a 280Z since they 'feel' more solid, are EASY to come by, and look roughly the same as a 240Z with the bumpers removed. The 280Z has frame rails that go back all the way unlike the 240Z, and they have nicer door & window mechanisms (maybe they work better by design or because they are newer??). Yes, the 280Z is heavier, but that is nothing a 383 can't handle. 8)

Davy

Guest Anonymous

well, good news. i actually picked up BOTH the '74 260Z and the '76 280Z for a grand total of, $800! i'm juiced. the 280Z body is in better condition and it's fuel injected, unlike the 240Z which is dual carbs (even though i'ts smog exempt, i know nothing about carbs).

so, i'm going to be pulling a few parts off of the 240Z and put them onto the 280Z (i.e. doors, steering wheel, aftermarket suspension, and a couple other little things) and pretty much sell the 240Z whole or part it out if anyone wants it. it's a dual carb (weber, i believe, not sure), and from what i'm told, it runs really strong. i'm no carb nut, so i don't know what kind of power a dual carb setup would be making.

it'll be a while before i can get any pics up because i have to deal withthe ownership/title changes thing because it's REALLY complicated in my particular situation (long story). but hopefully it'll easily handled so i can get everything done and sell off the 240Z as a whole or if anyone wants just the shell, or just the engine, etc. let me know. we couldn't get it started up because the gas was stale (it was sitting for a little over a year), but i'm positive it runs because it was cranking over. probably just need to do a fluid flush, and it'll be good to go.

but my e-mail is esyip@netscape.net, or you can get me while i'm on AIM or YIM at "esyip"

i'll get pics as soon as i get all the DMV stuff figured out.

Guest Anonymous

i'm sorry. i said 240Z, didn't i?

i meant to say '74 260Z. my bad, i just transposed the numbers. :?

but i have a '76 280Z (which i'm going to keep) and a '74 260Z (which i plan to part out or sell as a whole car).