HybridZ

Let the QR25 swaps begin!

mikedc528

• 4 weeks later...

Cool to see that there are other swaps being attempted, I have a QR25DE in my 2002 Spec V. Great torquey engine, with good low gear grunt...if only it didnt burn oil.

I have about 115K miles, and I had a blown head gasket at 75K miles, and my crank position sensor, cam position sensor, and throttle position sensor crap out on me. Its not the best engine out there, but it can be fun. I would love to see it in a lightweight 510 or Z just for the cool factor...but as far as a performance engine, it doesnt offer much in my opinion for high HP builds.

Just the fact that is so light and offers such a large displacement is what makes me like the QR25. Yes there are other big cube 4s out there, (3RZ, KA24, etc.) but i don't think any are as light. Besides these are plentiful, came in almost every Nissan auto in the 21st century. I think the aftermarket will only continue to grow and a few years from now this will be the next SR20.

Thank you!! I said something similar on another unnamed Nissan forum and was shot down with angry oil consuming engine victims. Folks need to realize that even their almighty SR20 had its issues. It takes time to develop a strong aftermarket response, and now that the Frontier has been out for a few years it is making this engine look ever more desirable.

Personally I think it's a good motor, but like copperdatsun said it has its flaws. But given the fact that it has a strong cast aluminum block (much stronger than the sand cast SR unit but lighter) with a taller deck height and, imo a fantastic head design, there is a great deal of potential there. Sure you may have to sleeve it like a honda or the VQ after a certain hp number, but you'll have to dry sleeve an SR as well at some point.

Then again, I don't think the SR is that great of a motor... At least no where near the immortality the S chassis gentlemen have given it.

Flame-Flame_on.jpg

As far as the QR, I havent really paid much attention to it in a couple of years. Mine probably burns about a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. I still think it was a good motor for the Spec V, combined with a short ratio 6 spd and Helical LSD, its got plenty of grip and is quick in the corners. Ran a 15.4 in the 1/4 mile on my first ever and only run. Pretty fun for $17k out the door in 2002.

Doesnt the latest Spec V put out around 200hp at the crank? I remember when I used to care about my spec v, people were getting around 140hp at the wheels stock (175hp at the crank, stock in 2002). Basic bolt-on's (intake, header, exhaust, cams, pulley) got to around 160-165hp. I dont really know where it is now as far as the performance market.

I believe people have figured out how to make a reliable turbo setup on the QR. If anyone is interested with what can be done to the QR25, I suggest searching b15sentra.net. Search for someone named Travis. He built the first "off the shelf" turbocharger kit for the QR25DE.